Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 10:07   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Propane tank sizes

I am now on my third steel propane tank in ten years, and it is getting badly rusted. The propane locker on my Gulfstar 37 (aft cockpit) uses an 11 pound tank that measures 16.8" high and 9.1" in diameter.

I'd like to find an alternative . . . aluminum or composite. I don't find a composite made in that size, and the aluminum tank of the closest size is a bit over 10" in diameter.

Suggestions welcome on an alternative to steel, or a maintenance routine to keep a new tank looking kind of new.

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:06   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Propane tank sizes

We use the same tank, only one that fits our propane locker. We've never found anything other than the 11# Manchester that fits. Fortunately, they are relatively inexpensive, especially on the web, and the only issue for us is the space it takes in the car to bring a new one down from SF to Mexico every 3 years or so.

We put a cut-to-fit piece of interlocking patio tile (https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Garden-I.../dp/B01N8Q097Y) underneath the tank to keep it out of residual water and make sure to keep the drain clear. That helps.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:20   #3

I've got the same problem. Right now I have a new aluminum tank in one spot, which takes up too much width so I can't fit another in the locker. So right now I've only got the one tank.

It seems that if I want two aluminum tanks, I would have to modify (widen) the propane locker.

I could fit a 4lb steel tank in the other spot, but that rather defeats the point of switching to aluminum.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:49   #4

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I have the exact same Manchester tank and the bottom corrodes fast.

When I bought the new tank last year I painted the bottom with Rustoleum. That sorta worked.

This year I wire brushed it back to bare metal and had one of the guys at work spray it with DuPont Corlar 2.1 epoxy paint. This is an industrial paint they used to paint motor generator sets for the military that sit outside for 30 years. Seems to be doing a great job. I don't think you can buy that type of paint but you can probably find a 2 part epoxy paint similar.

The other thing I did was add a rim guard to the bottom where that steel ring is. I had some left over from a project and it worked perfectly. Basically adds a rubber cushion to the bottom so that bottom edge doesn't wear off the paint and start the rust cancer.

This is what I used because i had it

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1120a111/=18g9tiw

This would be what I would get if I had to buy it as the seal bulb is now helping act as a bumper

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1120a341/=18g9uid

You just push it on and cut to length
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 15:52   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw, it is possible to have a virgin tank (never filled) galvanized. This will extend it's life considerably.

Good luck with the project, but start with a new tank.

Ann
Old 20-06-2021, 13:41   #6

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit

I hope this thread is still alive:

Did you find a solution?

My Bavaria CC has an propane locker in the swim steps that fits only the 11 lb 9.1 in x 16. 8 in cylinder. 10 years ago I had a composite tank but that company recalled al their products and went bankrupt. Now the ONLY choice seems to be the steel tanks and I have replaced 2 of them so far an need to replace the third.

I really want to go back to a composite tank but have not found one that fits the locker. I cannot find an aluminum that fits either!

I'm now thinking of buying another steel one and painting it with acid etch primer to adhere to the powder coat and then topping with epoxy. I only need to do this for the bottom third of the cylinder, I think

Any advice is welcome.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 14:04   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

not much hope for steel in damp salt water environment. paint the bottom and protect it .. is all you can do
Old 20-06-2021, 19:44   #8

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit

Fingers crossed for a lead on composite or aluminum cylinder that fits.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, size