Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 10:01   #16

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
I bought a precision temp also last year- made for boats, constant hot water (you do have to run it for 5 seconds or so but its very fast.). Lasts a long time on a tank of LP. Water is nice and hot. It's wired to the LP gas switch so it's on when the LP solenoids are powered up (I have a separate unit to actually open the solenoids). There's a sniffer under the unit to shut off all the gas should anything leak out.

The unit started up great after spending a cold winter unused in new york with antifreeze in it.

Pricey but a great way to go if you can swing it.

Matt
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07   #17
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Propane Water Heater

I have a Rinnai propane water heater that was factory fitted to my boat (in conjunction with a typical 120V/heat exchanger water heater). I believe it is the original unit (1994) and it is still in perfect working order. It does have an overhead vent (and an overhead hatch right next to that) and I turn the unit and the propane on and off before and after each use (easy as it is mounted in the galley and services only the galley and shower/tub room, which is just forward of the galley). The standard water heater is used in the head compartments that are in the other hull.

Apart from being reliable (obviously), there is a tremendous advantage in being able to shower and wash dishes when underway/on the hook without starting up the diesels. Safety has never been a concern to me.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:19   #18

Re: Propane Water Heater for on demand use

35 years ago I used a miniaturized propane fired on demand hot water heater on a Bill Tripp designed 23 net ton aluminum trans-atlantic yawl named Doric. This vessel was built by Abeking and Rasmussen in Germany, and was extremely strong and a delight to sail. The hot water heater had a thermo-mechanical switch to control the gas, and the pilot was only lit when the user wished to rig for on demand hot water. It was a small unit mounted over the galley sink, and it vented through the overhead, and out through a flat topped chrome chimney that could easily be secured with a few quick turns of the low profile threaded chrome chimney top on top of the clam shell deckhouse. I may have to re-create this on demand hot water heater for my own yawl which is now undergoing reconstruction. RFP's and solicitations would be greatly appreciated. Matt Twomey, May, 2013 matthew@astwomey.com
matthewast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

I don't think that would meet the ABYC specifications for propane installation and appliances on a boat. You may or may not care about this, but propane can be pretty dangerous on a boat if not installed and operated in a safe way.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 05:11   #20

My people go them rabbit heaters they work excellent and they are less dangerous than a propane burner stove the things are every few months you have to take the cover off and clean the soot out it shouldn't be more than enough to fill a training but it doesn't work to efficiently if you let it run dirty. Also like any propane device on a boat you must make sure it is properly installed best to have at least a 3 inch flex line at some point to reduce the chance of the line cracking because boats lacks and move copper lines are very brittle. But it's a wonderful and economic idea they're not real convenient because you have to like that many of them have electric igniters. Not requiring electricity but the kind where you push a button and it creates a spark. However if you're thinking of using it extensively and for bathing they get pretty hot and be carefully installed for that purpose because you'd be running a small heater for 30 minutes or so but they do produce plenty of hot water.
Sincerely yours Kevin Arthur Cleveland
Kevin142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 18:15   #21

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Don't have any direct experience myself, but a friend had one. Along with a propane refer. Boy did he burn through the propane, about a third of which was for hot water.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water