Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:02   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Propex Rental?

I am renewing my freshwater systems, well that's as good a word as possible, and considering PEX and using ProPex fittings. The cost of the expander is ridiculous with even the manual expander going for $175 and the cordless variety, highly recommended, at $400. Ebay has plenty of tools but all similarly overpriced. I have not found a local rental service as yet.

As such I would consider purchasing a cordless expander and want to gauge the interest in others renting the unit. I figure 40 bucks for a job, say a few days to a week or whatever it takes, plus shipping. With just the tool and charger without the case, domestic shipping should be $7.50 each way, worst case, the next size box is $13.50. Alternative is to just sell the tool after the job.

So, any takers or interest? From my investigation, the Propex is the easier, fastest and most secure connection available. Quick connects of some flavor are the potential fallback but I have had a checkered history with them on land. Comments appreciated.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propex tool.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	142606  
Old 07-03-2017, 06:16   #2

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: Propex Rental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaublis View Post

So, any takers or interest? From my investigation, the Propex is the easier, fastest and most secure connection available. Quick connects of some flavor are the potential fallback but I have had a checkered history with them on land. Comments appreciated.

Dan
Hi Dan,
You asked for comments, so here goes...
Most of us have been in this same situation many times. It's part of boat ownership. We all deal with expensive tools for a rare job, like a through-hull wrench or a rigging tension gauge. Usually we can find someone who has one to lend. Sometimes a rental shop has what we need. And sometimes we just bite the bullet and purchase the tool.
IMO - If you go into the business of buying and renting tools by mail, I think you're asking for headaches beyond the costs of the tools.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:19   #3

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I used Propex for my new fresh water cockpit shower and for my raw water washdown system. No problems so far.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:33   #4

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Hi Dan,

You asked for comments, so here goes...

Most of us have been in this same situation many times. It's part of boat ownership. We all deal with expensive tools for a rare job, like a through-hull wrench or a rigging tension gauge. Usually we can find someone who has one to lend. Sometimes a rental shop has what we need. And sometimes we just bite the bullet and purchase the tool.

IMO - If you go into the business of buying and renting tools by mail, I think you're asking for headaches beyond the costs of the tools.

Thanks KP. I agree and am quick to offer any help including my tools or time and not looking to get into rental business for sure. This level of specialty tool is a bit different though. Will probably just bite the bullet on the least costly option or keep looking at PEX connection options.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

I Think it would be simpler to use fittings that don't need an expensive tool to install. Remember, you might be away and need to make a repair or modification. My boat has QEST fittings that are available at Ace Hardware and other sources and of course there are other brands of PEX fittings as well.

Tags
rope