Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2007, 03:06   #16

Boat: warwick 44
the only thing worse than putting a few cups of raw waste into the sea is dumping 60 or more litres I think holding tanks have the potential to coarse more damage to the envoroment, of corse no body wants to swim in other peoples waste
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 04:20   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I agree with you boris, in marinas or anchorages I use the holding tank and pump it out at a waste station otherwise it gets sent out straight from the head. Fortunately we have a sufficient number of pumpout stations in the area. Using a Vacuflush system I get a lot of flushes per tank and no odor.I am hoping that the pumpout stations don't just dump it at night when there is a good tide flow. It's pretty hard to get too excited or feel too guilty over this when I see Victoria dumping raw sewage into the Straights of Juan de Fuca and seven Pulpmill dumping various types of effluent into the Straights of Georgia.
Old 23-10-2007, 11:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Nautical activities: What impact on the environment?

From the European Confederation of Nautical Industries: ECNI - National federations committed to the European scene

Today, the European Confederation of Nautical Industries – ECNI released the study commissioned to an international team of experts on the environmental impact of nautical activities. The aim for this study is twofold: establishing and understanding the true impact of recreational activities on the marine and aquatic environment, and taking full account of other pollution sources and pressures.

Professionals in the recreational marine industry have already signed up to initiatives aimed at encouraging sustainable development in recreational boating. They actively promote innovative solutions in order to provide recreational boaters with new, more environmental-friendly technologies. They are also engaged in programmes designed to raise awareness among recreational boating enthusiasts, in an attempt to limit even further their impact on the environment.

Initially, the study intended to assess worldwide the environmental impact of recreational activities taking place in marine areas, rivers and lakes. However, the fragmentation of existing studies and data available resulted in reducing the scope of the study to the situation in Europe, with some highlights from other countries on certain aspects. The team of international experts who contributed to the study did not carry out new studies but used existing ones in an effort to compile in one study the sectoral research efforts carried out so far.

The future of the recreational marine sector is dependent on the quality of the marine environment. In addition, this study demonstrates that recreational marine activities are only a minor source of marine pollution. The majority of people, who practise nautical activities, be they boaters, windsurfers or divers have a deep affinity with their environment and a respect for nature. For these people, enjoying a well-preserved natural environment is vitally important. If the sustainability and long-term future of nautical activities is to be guaranteed, the environment must continue to be protected from pollution and pressures on its ecosystem.

Since recreational boating is highly visible to the public, particularly during the summer period, it is often seen as exerting a significant pressure on the environment and contributing to environmental problems. Yet the main sources of pollution tend to go unnoticed. In this study, ECNI’s team of independent experts has analysed the impact of nautical activities on the environment and has also reviewed the contribution of other sources. Furthermore, the recreational marine industry will use the outcomes of this study to adapt its strategy towards sustainability.

Goto: http://www.ecni.org/fichiers/0709%20...autisme_EN.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 20:05   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Those who claim that pumping human waste overboard is harmless are full of sh*t and no pun intended. While the harmful elements of human waste may not last forever in a marine environment, they certainly last long enough to make anybody who comes into contact with it sick. Further, shellfish can be contaminated by human waste and anybody eating them can become sick. In addition, the microorganisms that dispose of such waste use up oxygen that other marine organisms need to live. Is this an issue in a seaway? Probably not. In an anchorage or recreational boating area it certainly is. Regardless, advocating pumping waste overboard is an ignorant thing to do. And the argument justifying pumping overboard because birds and fish crap in the ocean or that the occasional municipal sewage release means that it is OK for anyone to do is simply retarded.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 20:07   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Interesting name for this thread, fstbttms.
Old 23-10-2007, 20:12   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Interesting name for this thread, fstbttms.
I earn my living performing in-water hull cleanings. My company name is "FastBottoms Hull Diving". Perhaps you can grasp the nature of my user name and why I have strong feelings on the subject.
Old 23-10-2007, 20:37   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I hear you. I was at a marina well inland for the better part of a year, and would not get into the water because of its contamination. There were three guys who did bottom scrubbing there, and all said they had contracted hepatitis from that water. I was under the impression that salt water killed most viruses. Is that not true?
Old 23-10-2007, 20:57   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
I hear you. I was at a marina well inland for the better part of a year, and would not get into the water because of its contamination. There were three guys who did bottom scrubbing there, and all said they had contracted hepatitis from that water. I was under the impression that salt water killed most viruses. Is that not true?
Apparently not. After 13 years in the business, I started my Hep A&B series last month and threw in a tetanus booster as well.
Old 23-10-2007, 23:18   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Ewww.....no swimming in marinas for me!
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 05:11   #25

Boat: Camano Troll, 28' trawler -- SESAME
I'm afraid that I made a rather quick and flip reply above. I would never pump overboard in a closed harbor or anywhere near other boats. However, in deep tidal water I do not see a problem. One of the major problems with passing so many "zero discharge areas" is that it has removed all motivation to continue to develop onboard treatment systems, such as Lectrasan (sp?). Too many politicians are working hard to put the focus on boaters in order to distract us from faulty municipal and private sewage systems, heavily fertilized golf courses and lawns, and the other MAJOR polluters.
https://camano130.blogspot.com/
Sesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 19:29   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Those who claim that pumping human waste overboard is harmless are full of sh*t...
... means that it is OK for anyone to do is simply retarded.
There seems to be a lot of retarded sailors out there.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 20:11   #27

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Therapy,

PC is putting "them" in the same category as Algore's "global warming deniers".

ptptptptptpt!

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote