Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2022, 17:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: PVC on bilge pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
About as much as I trust CDC
My opinion differs, but then again I've spent 30 years working in the industry.
Old 13-11-2022, 18:03   #17

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I use to have an old wood seiner that had a soft plug. It was a 2” plug that I would remove each year when I hauled the boat out so rain water could drain. I always wondered how that never poped out when I was in the water. I ran that boat all over Kodiak Island and across Shelikof Strait sometimes in rough weather. The ID on my little thru hull is about 3/8”. I would be pretty dumb to let that sink my boat. It would take just as long to get down and shut a seacock valve as it would to stuff a dirty sick in the hole

Just being a smart a
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 19:20   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Here is how I re- did it again. I hope it’s good now. G-10 backing plate barbed bronze hose adapter hardwood block epoxied down, better clamps. No PVC pipe fittings. I’m not getting a seacock. I trust the enginerrs
You boat, your rules!

However I would have added a full bore bronze ball valve (with SS handle) directly to the bronze elbow and then the hose nipple to the other end of the ball valve. It would lie against and in line with the hardwood block and not intrude into the space in anyway but it would give you an immediate method of closing off the thru hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball vavle.png
Views:	55
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	267388  
Attached Images

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 19:32   #19

Thanks. I’m researching. I have to lay across all that stuff when working on auto pilot motor and windvane parts. Maybe I will move everything to the port side. Then I wouldn’t mind a valve. I could put the exhaust on the fantail up higher. But that won’t happen till next haulout. I might get the ball valve. I think boatpoker is right. My outlet is way low only 4” above the water maybe less
Old 13-11-2022, 19:43   #20

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Thanks. I’m researching. I have to lay across all that stuff when working on auto pilot motor and windvane parts. Maybe I will move everything to the port side. Then I wouldn’t mind a valve. I could put the exhaust on the fantail up higher. But that won’t happen till next haulout. I might get the ball valve. I think boatpoker is right. My outlet is way low only 4” above the water maybe less
Just a quick observation, how often do you anticipate having to work on the autopilot motor and windvane?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 20:08   #21

Well now that it’s all installed I guess not much It sure was a pain.
Old 14-11-2022, 07:14   #22

Boatpoker. I’m sorry I was a sarcastic jerk. I am going to install a ball valve. And replace that short piece corrugated hose with maybe shields or trident wired exhaust hose
Old 14-11-2022, 12:27   #23

Finished. I’m so dumb. I always waste so much doing things trial and error. I wish I could plan ahead and do everything right the first time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E12D2A4-8D24-4204-926D-8CDDDEBDEEA0.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	267454  
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 12:45   #24

^^ looks good to my eyes!

And I for one, appreciate your willingness to make a public apology to Boatpoker. It is rare to see such good manners on social media lately so it should be recognised when someone steps up and expresses regret for past comments
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-11-2022, 13:09   #25

Boat: Nordic 44

That installation is still not ideal.

The discharge should be well above the heeled water line.

The hose should be looped as high as possible under the deck. Then a vented loop would not be needed.

You could put a cap on the existing through hull and add another one above it. Saving the work of glassing the hole.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 13:44   #26

OMG. I knew that. It’s never gonna end. That will have to wait.till I can afford to paint the hull
Old 14-11-2022, 14:00   #27

^^

It's an expanded version of the old joke about asking 2 lawyers and getting 3 opinions. CF will give you dozens of opinions and one might even be close to best practice. Just don't ask an anchor or an electrical question...
Old 14-11-2022, 15:15   #28

Stom a long is right-er. I thought about that just don’t want to do it now
Old 15-11-2022, 05:46   #29

Now this has got me thinking.. I often ran my fishing boat up on the beach for service. If I ran this sailboat up and layed her over on the stbd side, that thru hull would be so low I wonder if the water would keep coming in.. I'm glad I installed the valve. I would like to try beaching this boat just to know what to expect.
Old 18-11-2022, 06:35   #30

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
It's common to have to live with or change things that drive you crazy about your boat if you intend to keep it for a long time.

I like your idea of moving everything to better positions at haulout and have done that many times myself. Glassing over and painting an old thru hull is pretty easy, either DIY or hiring it out. Installing a new thru hull is also easy, just be sure to seal it well (one of the few times 5200 is used) and if you put it high enough, with a loop as well, a valve will not be needed. Then, your present fix would be called GEFN (good enough for now) until your next haulout.

If you were to keep it where it is I would want a valve fer sure.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump