Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2022, 07:57   #31

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K
Re: PVC on bilge pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Is that a plastic through hull fitting?

https://www.trudesign.nz/marine/products

Those exposed wires could do with some protection too.

Pete
I guess they are nylon.
Old 18-11-2022, 10:03   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Plastic has never been better Several make incredible throughhull superior to bronze all day. Not one is approved for below the water yet. PVC pipe is eaten up by stress where as the other Home Depot pipe can’t be exposed to UV. Neither has a UL approval for below the water line in marine.
The building code is very clear on strapping down pvc pipes
Don’t be affected by people jumping on the thread with insults and innuendo it’s what they do for entertainment and some social media status. Go to the chandlery and get the right stuff to fit.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 18:53   #33

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
My original bilge pump plastic thru hull was in the way and digging into my back when I work in the Laz. Also I was worried that that hose would eventually crack. It did. (Photo 3), I modified it as in 1st photo only to receive harsh criticism: No backing plate, PVC pipe will break, not secured down good enough, no 2nd hose clamp. I would like to move it to the other side close to the manual outlet but that requires too much and gel coat and paint matching, Any suggestions how I can improve the way I did it (photo 3)
Wrong material through hull fitting...use a SS or bronze fitting
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 04:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Wrong material through hull fitting...use a SS or bronze fitting
the plastic is fine, the install is fine. many world cruising boats have sch 80 installs, some above the waterline are simply glassed in tot he hull.
The only reservation not mentioned- when sailing and I believe the thru-hull is below the waterline when healed over- what about anti-siphon issues? It is not easily depicted if you have a loop high enough or an anti siphon valve (like a head)
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 15:23   #35

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
the plastic is fine, the install is fine. many world cruising boats have sch 80 installs, some above the waterline are simply glassed in tot he hull.
The only reservation not mentioned- when sailing and I believe the thru-hull is below the waterline when healed over- what about anti-siphon issues? It is not easily depicted if you have a loop high enough or an anti siphon valve (like a head)
Once again this photo shows how I did it.. I will move the exhaust up high on the other side next haulout like "Stormalong" suggested. I think my questions have been answered. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 15-13-07 PVC on bilge pump - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums.png
Views:	26
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	267744  

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump