Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 19:22   #46

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: PVC Taboo - Myth or Reality ?

Yes, there are various types of PVC, each identified with a specification identification. Further, markings are required:

"Product marking shall meet the requirements of ASTM D1785 and ASTM D2665 as applicable and shall include: the manufacturer’s name (or the manufacturer’s trademark when privately labeled); the nominal pipe size; the material designation code; the pipe schedule and pressure rating in psi for water @ 73°F; the ASTM designation D1785; the ASTM designation D2665 (when dual marked); the independent laboratory’s seal of approval for potable water usage; and the date and time of manufacture."

OK, enough for PVC. Now potable water lines.... for the last two seasons I intended to rip out the junk that exists in my boat. I intend to replace it with PEX using both PEX pipe and tubing. Some places tubing will be easier and other places pipe will be easier to install. I have all the needed fittings along with the crimp tool.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:42   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oh true, But the PVC DWV fittings are manufactured under a different ASTM#, (ASTM F 1866) and are not pressure rated or marked. See I can spout ASTM too.

I would not always trust ASTM marked pipe, oh lets say from China for instance. For the reality is that sometimes the actual pipe material may not be up to the actual ASTM standard marked on the pipe. Sort of like a certain anchor we all know and love :-)
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08   #48

Boat: Bombay PH 31

all i know is,
i have it on my boat from previous owner and like everting else done its a PITA that i cant wait to get off my to do list!!
Yes to it getting brittle with age
Yes to it being hard to work with in the bilge.
my favorite is haveing to make it shorter every time a kid toss in a toy or too much TP.
Last time it got grabbed onto while working in cramped eng compartment holding tank dumped it full contents on me thru broken fittin. :barf:
a splice halfway in run (under bilge floor) leaks and i have to remove it all to replace.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59   #49

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oh true, But the PVC DWV fittings are manufactured under a different ASTM#, (ASTM F 1866) and are not pressure rated or marked. See I can spout ASTM too.

I would not always trust ASTM marked pipe, oh lets say from China for instance. For the reality is that sometimes the actual pipe material may not be up to the actual ASTM standard marked on the pipe. Sort of like a certain anchor we all know and love :-)

PEACE! The only value I see on pressure ratings for DWV pipe....and yes, the fittings are not rated.... is to give one assurance the stuff is somewhat strong and durable. My experience has found it a better alternative to stink hose. Actually, it matters not to me how much poop pressure builds in my ventilated system as long as it does not stink

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 15:13   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
... My experience has found it [sic: PVC] a better alternative to stink hose. Actually, it matters not to me how much poop pressure builds in my ventilated system as long as it does not stink
Another alternative would be "Non-Stink" hose ( Peggy: Trident 101/102 ?).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 17:40   #51

I have experienced multiple failures in home use of white sch 40 3/4 and 1 inch. stress failures mostly. definitely go for sch 80.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 19:22   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Hum maybe water hammer caused by solenoid valves on dishwasher or washing machine or thermal expansion as all plastic pipe expand and contract quite a bit with temp rise or fall. If your pipes make a banging / rattling sound that's water hammer.

Water hammer can be controlled with air chambers or water hammer arrestors installed near the solenoid valves.

Either of which could also cause SCH 80 to fail, it would just take longer.

Just FYI
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote