Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 09:46   #1
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
question about engine driven refrigeration

probably a dumb question: can this type of refrigeration be maintained on batteries at the dock .. or does it require daily engine running? thanks.
Old 28-02-2013, 09:48   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: question about engine driven refrigeration

That would depend on if it has an electric motor in addition to the engine drive.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
probably a dumb question: can this type of refrigeration be maintained on batteries at the dock .. or does it require daily engine running? thanks.

nope, big problems with oil migration, don't even think about it
sfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:31   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Our 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34 has a Kollmann Marine Products refrigeration system. In the divided ice box is a holding plate filled with propylene glycol and water. Also in the holding plate are two copper coils. The first coil is the evaporator for an engine drive refrigeration system consisting of a belt driven compressor mounted on the engine, a coil for condensing the R134a with sea water going to the engine, an assortment of pressure switches, and an expansion valve. The second coil is the evaporator for a 125v package R-12 condensing unit that is mounted at the back of the port cockpit locker. Except for the common holding plate, the two systems are entirely separate. We run the engine drive system for an hour a day when we are away from the dock and the 125v system when we can plug it in. We make ice and keep food frozen.

I believe the system was installed sometime just after the boat was built. With the help of Richard Kollmann's two refrigeration books and with his email responses to my questions on his web site, I have kept the two systems running since I bought the boat in 2004. The web site contains a wealth of information and the books contain the sort of knowledge a journeyman refrigeration technician would share with an apprentince.

A similar currently sold refrigeration system is the Technautics Inc Global 12 system. It has a 12v condensing unit in place of the 125v unit that is in my system.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, refrigeration