Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2024, 09:40   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Raritan - electric toilet discharge

I have this almost exact setup on my boat except it is a 6' height difference. As others have said. Once in a while it does backflow a tiny bit. Using flushing it with some tp takes care of it.

If you haven't bought it already, a buddy has a Dometic. The expensive model of their line. I like that one way better than the Raritan ME I have. Just seems to work better.

If you do go with the ME, I can't stand their mounting bolts system. Yes, it looks sexy but is such a PITA to work with. Next time mine comes off for servicing it's getting mounted to a piece of starboard and that will have easily accessible screws to quickly, easily, remove and replace the unit.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 15:56   #17

I installed my Raritan Marine Elegance two years ago and it works great. I use the freshwater flush (usually). It was a PIA to install in my small head and I don’t relish the thought of ever having to get to the back of it to replace joker valves. But so far it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5881.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	291273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5840.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	291274  

Name:	IMG_5852.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	291275  
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 19:31   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It will work fine. Note that you can use 1” hose to make it flush much further (1.5 times) than with a 1.5” hose.

Use their saniflex hose.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 21:02   #19

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I

“The best advice i can give for this is to make sure the back of the toilet will be very accessible after it’s installed so you can get to the joker valves as needed.[/QUOTE]”
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 21:39   #20

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I

Quote:
The best advice i can give for this is to make sure the back of the toilet will be very accessible after it’s installed so you can get to the joker valves as needed.
Not sure there is a way to install this ME toilet that allows easy access to the joker valve. I had to change a joker valve (underway, of course) and found out that the plumbing “innards” don’t allow the toilet to be completely removed at the base so I had to tilt the toilet forward to work on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	291286  
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 19:24   #21

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukakai View Post
Not sure there is a way to install this ME toilet that allows easy access to the joker valve. I had to change a joker valve (underway, of course) and found out that the plumbing “innards” don’t allow the toilet to be completely removed at the base so I had to tilt the toilet forward to work on it.
I've had to do such work as you describe.
Why oh why are companies so afraid to build a marine toilet that has some exposed "innards"?
They were all designed by suave dandies with slicked back hair and a pencil mustache, who's last job was designing boudoirs.
Old 26-06-2024, 09:04   #22

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have to completely remove mine to service it. That's why next time I do this I will mount on starboard permanently and the screw starboard to deck.

They have these fancy brackets you screw to from the outside. The brackets are mounted inside. Ok... the issue is that the inside brackets can be rotated and they rotate sometimes as you're putting them on, usually its the last one that does this. The one that is the most difficult to access. Now you take it all apart again to adjust the moveable bracket bolt and begin again.

If I were o design this I'd also have a much larger hole in the bottom of the toilet, similar to a house. At the bottom of that put a a larger macerator head and send it on it's way. Stuff gets clogged because the opening is too small.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 10:44   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
If I were o design this I'd also have a much larger hole in the bottom of the toilet, similar to a house. At the bottom of that put a a larger macerator head and send it on it's way. Stuff gets clogged because the opening is too small.
Or alternatively, a change of diet may be just as effective :thumb

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 10:46   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I've had that complaint a couple of times with my Sea Era. Stuff landed across the hole or in it in just the right way that it wouldn't get pulled into the macerator even though it would get processed just fine once it gets down there.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, oil, raritan, toilet