Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2024, 06:04   #1

Raritan - electric toilet discharge

I've already been swapping email with Raritan tech guys (very helpful) but I sense they're being careful with their answers.

I need to flush into a higher foul tank, with a total lift of exactly 4' above toilet outlet. Buying ME with remote sea water pump, and 3 way push button flush.

Not sure I can ask this delicately?!?!?

With no choker valve (I'm told) how dowmes it handle a bowl 1/2 full of water with a large volume of poop floating on the surface?

Worried it's going to come back down the pipe

If I get this wrong, at this spend level, the Admiral will go absolutely postal on me..... :-(

Thanks
Papwads
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 06:42   #2

Re: Raritan - electric toilet discharge

There’s a vent cap that HAS to stay in place if the tank is higher. Pretty sure it creates a vacuum.

My tank is higher and just installed the ME, no issues. Mind you it’s only about 2 ft.

Using the normal flush that actually flushed 3? Times probably helps clear the drain pipe too.

Page 6, fig 4b of the install papers shows the vent cap
Ixium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 09:23   #3

Our Raritan (Marine Elegance)is setup exactly this way. Its about a year old and we are starting to have problems with backflow. Kind of annoying. It happens randomly and i have no idea why. We mostly use the toilet for liquids and flushing a big wad of toilet paper seems to cure the problem temporarily. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if it actually is doing something to help. About every two or so weeks it seems to happen again. It happens enough now that im probably going to move the holding tank back to the v-berth and create a more horizontal run.

Half the point of buying this toilet was to keep the holding tank out of the v-berth so not terribly happy with its performance.
User 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 10:44   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

there are 2 jokers valves in the ME

you have to change them just like any other marina head
Old 13-06-2024, 11:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
there are 2 jokers valves in the ME

you have to change them just like any other marina head
I have email from Raritan specifically saying they don't have a choker valve
Old 13-06-2024, 11:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 09 View Post
Our Raritan (Marine Elegance)is setup exactly this way. Its about a year old and we are starting to have problems with backflow. Kind of annoying. It happens randomly and i have no idea why. We mostly use the toilet for liquids and flushing [...]

Half the point of buying this toilet was to keep the holding tank out of the v-berth so not terribly happy with its performance.
I'm specifically interested in floating solids....

Liquid less concerning, as my Y valve will drain any slow weeping discharge overboard once switched
Old 13-06-2024, 11:43   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawads View Post
The parts drawing for the Marine Elegance very clearly shows 2 joker (not choker) valves.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 23:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The parts drawing for the Marine Elegance very clearly shows 2 joker (not choker) valves.
MY BAD!! you're absolutely right.... its a long mail and I read too quickly. So it should hold fluids in the pipe, at least long enough for a second flush.
So I'm thinking I should be able to get floaters up that pipe, even if that means flushing to a dry bowl, refilling and reflushing.
Sorry for such a gruesome conversation, I'm just not rich enough to spend this kind of money on a mistake... and the Admiral is keen on a poop solution with less manual intervention.
Old 14-06-2024, 17:00   #9

Quote:
MY BAD!! you're absolutely right.... its a long mail and I read too quickly. So it should hold fluids in the pipe, at least long enough for a second flush.
So I'm thinking I should be able to get floaters up that pipe, even if that means flushing to a dry bowl, refilling and reflushing.
Sorry for such a gruesome conversation, I'm just not rich enough to spend this kind of money on a mistake... and the Admiral is keen on a poop solution with less manual intervention.
Yes it will. The joker valves when they are working properly will not let anything flow back into the toilet after flushing. It has a macerator in the bowl and shreds everything into a liquid when you flush and sends that up the pipe, not solids. Its fairly powerful and generally will empty a full bowl of solids on a single flush with no problem. Any standing debris in that pipe will be pretty much completely liquified. It has no problem getting it up and into the tank at four feet. Sometimes just requires a second flush to make sure and to tidy up and to purge the line of nasties. Be prepared to replace the joker valves every season though. Like i said, mine are not holding back all of the stuff in the pipe after only one year of use. The best advice i can give for this is to make sure the back of the toilet will be very accessible after its installed so you can get to the joker valves as needed.
User 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 19:55   #10

As far as I know, the ME is the only head with a double joker valve. This greatly improves how well the joker seals - and extends it's life. I've had ME jokers go over 5 years. While it's not great for hose stink, you can even leave sewage in the hose and it won't leak down even over a week.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 20:38   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Joker valve, not choker. It's on the drawing.
Old 15-06-2024, 11:09   #12

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Why all the problems. Get an Air Head and be done with all that other crap. You can get one with a drain on the pee bottle that can go into a bladder or holding tank.

I have had the Air Head on 3 boats. No issues that are worse than anything you are facing. And the best part for me is not having 400 pounds of sewage onboard.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 06:40   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

The joker valves wear and soften over time and will need replacing so keep a few in storage. They are also prone to getting debris stuck in the flaps which can allow leakage down back into the toilet. Happens maybe once a month to us on cruise. Never exceeds the volume of the toilet but could splash around, but generally your nose knows and a flush or two takes care of it
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 08:18   #14

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I installed this unit three years ago and have had no problems with a four foot head on the discharge.
As to jokers, my experience inspecting these from my old head is that the calcium buildup causes the elasticity to fail. Then they don't close tightly.
I have a water maker so I plumbed mine with a fresh water flush. I did install a three way to change to sea water if needed but never needed it yet.
One long push on the flush button clears everything out of the bowl.
As an added bonus I installed a bidet toilet seat, $28.
The only problem with it is if someone leaves it dripping it will fill and overflow the bowl. The alert for this is hearing the pressure pump run but Admiral and I know to be sure it is off.
Thebaysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 08:56   #15

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by :thinwater View Post
Joker valve, not choker. It's on the drawing.
It becomes a choker when you start pulling old clogged hoses off…
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, oil, raritan, toilet