Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2023, 21:39   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Raritan Elegance Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I've had mine for 5 years. Replaced joker valves once. semi successful. still allows back flow bubbles a bit. sigh.

I have noticed that it doesn't seem to flush as well as it used to. Haven't changed anything, using fresh water only. It used to swirl and everything went down but now, seems like it's lost it's oomph.

Any ideas?
After 5 years I think it’s time to replace the impeller. It wears out, reducing capacity.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 23:26   #17

Boat: Moody 47

We replaced it yesterday, but it looked fine. Unfortunately that’s not the issue.

We went to a local store today and found some drain unclogger. We flushed a bit if that down, with Raritan’s blessing. It’s helping but dang if this clog isn’t stubborn.
kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 06:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Is there any chance a guest might have flushed a wet wipe? They clog the macerator--which, btw is just something that resembles the blades in in a blender--in the toilet.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 06:56   #19
Marine Service Provider

"Marine grade" toilet paper is just the cheapest single ply TP available from any grocery store, just for a much higher price.

--Peggie
Old 25-09-2023, 07:02   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
IF the hose is more than 10 years old, I would just replace the hose.

Amen! 10 years is the average working life of any hose because rubber and plastics dry out over time, making the hose hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting. Old hose connected to an open below-waterline thru-hull is a leading cause of boats sinking in their slips when no one is aboard.

--Peggie
Old 25-09-2023, 10:24   #21

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I

I crewed on a 1960 wood trawler that had the last part of its sanitation system inaccessible. The toilet wouldn’t drain and there was no way to remove and replace the hose to the through-hull. As a last resort, I poured a copious amount of CLR (Calcium-Lime-Rust) liquid into the hose, let it sit overnight, and viola! The hose was cleared and the toilet drained perfectly.
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:05   #22

Boat: Moody 47

Alright, we finally solved this issue! And it wasn't a clog! After verifying 90% of our plumbing and not finding anything at all, we took apart our motor and found that it was full of water. Also grease. Like every surface coated in some sort of black grease. Not sure why or how, because they don't do that in the factory. Also in the last couple days before it really failed, the toilet had started to trip the breaker, and it's likely because of the water intrusion.

We just had a friend visit us here in the middle of the Pacific, and she flew in with a new motor/pump assembly. We installed that, and here's the kicker, our toilet now works better than it has ever worked the entire time we've owned this boat. I guess we have always had a failing motor.

So now we have a working toilet, and I recommend anyone who has a similar problem to us, take apart your motor and verify it's not had water intrusion.
kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 14:48   #23

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusuri View Post
Alright, we finally solved this issue!
we took apart our motor and found that it was full of water.
Good that you found the issue.
No matter how good/expensive an electric toilet is they all depend upon a relatively simple/inexpensive shaft seal.
A drop here and there getting past the seal,,,, and in not much time, failure.
If you were flushing with salt water the motor failure would probably have occurred much sooner.

Tags
raritan