Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 09:36   #1

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter
Raritan PH II leaking - Again!

2 weeks ago, replaced a few O rings and the head stopped leaking.

All good for 3 days, and then it started to leak around the metal rod that goes up and down when you pump the handle. A little water comes out with each stoke. I took it apart and didn't see any O rings to replace so I just greased the rod with Super Lube.

It leaked a little less, but now its worse than ever.

How do I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Gracias!
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:43   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Raritan PH II leaking - Again!

It depends on how old the toilet is. Back in the1990's, Raritan changed the design of the seal around the rod, and the new one works way better.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:28   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

This page will show how to identify if you have the older or newer style. Kits are available for both types. However, if you have the older one it is probably time to replace the whole pump as the housing and shaft both do wear out. (get scratched and won't seal anymore).

https://www.raritaneng.com/en_US/pag...tify-your-head

If all you did was replace a couple seals, and not do a full rebuild, then a full rebuild might be in order as well.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

If your toilet is at least 5 years old it's defiinitely due for a rebuild kit. There are two versions of the PHII--built before 6/'92, and built after 6/92 and each version needs its own rebuild kit. PHIIRk is the correct kit for pre- 6/92 version...the later version need kit PHIIRkC and it's important that you use the right kit because several parts in each one are not interchangeable.

If you keep a PHII well lubricated, replace the joker valve annually and put the correct rebuild kit (about $60) in it every 5-6 years, it can easily provide 20 + years of reliable trouble-free service with minimal repairs needed.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:28   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive,,,,"
Walter Scott.

Saying this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it holds true in several ways relating to boats and those who design/build/equip them, and those who manufacture the products.
They deceive us, and we deceive ourselves.
The deception that cast iron and stainless is as good as lead and bronze for keels/bolts.
The deception that "something in a tube" can hold a bulkhead as well as continuous fiberglass bonding.
That some chrome plated "Zamak", (pot metal,) can take the place of stainless or bronze for hinges/fittings/cleats, or that aluminum can make a window frame as good as stainless, or a plastic portlight that will be "good enough".
Or perhaps more germane to this thread, that over time a plastic toilet will continue to operate as well as one made of bronze.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:50   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Or perhaps more germane to this thread, that over time a plastic toilet will continue to operate as well as one made of bronze.
Anyone who has worked with corrosive piss and glue like poop knows that well designed plastic is a vast improvement over bronze. I did spend a happy day replacing the metal pickup tube in a Grand Banks holding tank with PVC. There was very little left of the metal one, and I am sure that the PVC will last over 50 years.

I say well designed, because the plastic bases of both of my 8 year old PHII toilets cracked within a month of each other.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:03   #7

Boat: Hylas 46

Agree you probably want to do the full rebuild if it hasn't been done "recently." There's a video on the Raritan site showing how to do it. It isn't particularly difficult to do the actual pump maintenance, but note that he is demonstrating on a unit in the open; I had a heck of a time reaching some of the bolts/nuts in a cramped head compartment to remove some parts and also to replace.

Raritan now makes a 'universal' rebuild kit for all three models (both versions of PHII and maybe PH?), so you may not be able to find older individual kits. The new one contains the common parts and also three bags labeled for each model. So you obviously still need to know which one you have. Toss the bags you don't need (or give to a friend).

Finally, there is a seal that goes on the piston rod that has a small taper to it. Its part 1214A. It functions like an o-ring, but has a trapezoidal cross section. It's hard to see (with these aging eyes anyway) and easy to put in upside down. I would guess that might be your problem.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 20:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Raritan now makes a 'universal' rebuild kit for all three models (both versions of PHII and maybe PH?), so you may not be able to find older individual kits.

Thank you for that information...apparently I missed that "memo."

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raritan