Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2024, 09:10   #1
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Raritan PH Powerflush pump volume

I know this is a long shot, but...

Has anyone ever figured/found out the volume/minute or vol/pump stroke moved by the Raritan PH Powerflush pump?

After all this time just guessing, I'm trying to figure out, for the periodic muriatic acid treatment for the Electroscan, how many "flushes"/pump strokes it actually takes to move the diluted muriatic acid from the toilet bowl to the Electroscan. I know my linear feet of hose; I know the ID of the hose; and I know the formula to calculate how long it would take to move between the pump and the Electroscan, if I had the value for how much volume the pump moves per stroke (approximating one stroke per second).

I know Raritan might be able to answer, but I thought I'd take a shot on here while waiting for business hours next week. Thanks.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 10:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Raritan PH Powerflush pump volume

The electric motor on the PowerFlush pumps the toilet with a much faster and shorter stroke than pumping manually does. I suggest you give Mac McCoy at Raritan a call in the morning. 800-352-5630 x 306.

Why do you feel the need to know this??

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 07:41   #3
TCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Why do you feel the need to know this??
Peggie -- First, thanks for your message. I'll try Mac.
As for why I "feel the need to know" the answer, I thought I explained in my original post: When I want to do the muriatic acid treatment for the Electroscan, the manual states to put the diluted acid bath in the toilet bowl and pump until "bowl is dry as possible" ad then allow to stand. On its face, that doesn't ensure that the muriatic acid bath is actually in the Electroscan surrounding the plates.

Other posters on here, on old threads, have asked this question, i.e., how to know whether the acid bath is mostly just sitting in the hoses/PVC pipes between the toilet and the Electroscan or whether it is fully in the Electroscan. One member commented that he just opens the Electroscan from the top and pours the acid bath in, and advised the OP to do that, and you commented that you would not advise it, you would simply follow the Raritan instructions.

So as I mentioned, if I can find out how much volume/stroke the pump moves, I can figure out how many strokes/flushes it takes to move the acid bath from the toilet to the Electroscan.
Old 26-02-2024, 18:14   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The stroke of the piston is easy to measure, the diameter of the piston should be not so hard to measure.
Even if you take a guess, you'll probably be within an 1/8" or so.
Or, put some food coloring or a dye tablet in the toilet, disconnect the inlet hose to the treatment unit and see how many strokes it takes to get to the treatment unit.
Old 26-02-2024, 20:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Too many variables for a one-size-fits-all answer. Is the toilet higher than the ES? Is the toilet discharge line a straight downhill run or does it go "over, under, around and through bulkheads or equipment? How long is it? Iow,,how much help will you get from gravity? How much of that help will beovercome by the need to work around obstacles?

You might want to consider doing a dry run: put some red food coloring in the bowl with a gallon of water and see how many pumps are needed to see a pink discharge from the ES. That'll require enough pumps to move it all the way through both chambers and out, but Mac should be able to tell you how many pumps are needed to move the red dye from the first chamber to the second one.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 12:25   #6
TCL

Mac from Raritan says approximately 6 oz per stroke of the pump.

Tags
power, pump, raritan