Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 21:53   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Raritan PH Powerflush / Purasan advice

So, the Admiral has deemed that she no longer wants to be bothered with pump-outs. On the advice of a few friends that have them, we've ordered a Purasan EX. The plan is to dump treated sewage overboard while keeping the holding tank as a back-up and for NDZs.

Does the Purasan have a fail-safe mode? I.e., are we SOL if the electrical fails, or will it just pump overboard - or into the holding tank, if selected?

I'm also getting really tired of replacing the pump on our Jabsco toilet every year. The Admiral wants electric flush and I want the peace of mind of having a manual back-up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Raritan PH Powerflush? Ease of install? Reliability? Ease of switching to manual mode?
I36guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Raritan PH Powerflush / Purasan advice

The PuraSan Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet is a "flow through" device...it has no pump, instead each incoming flush pushes an equal amount out. So yes, it will continue to discharge without power but it won't mix, macerate or treat, so it would be best to flush only urine through it and flush solid waste directly to the tank until power is restored. You might want to spend a little time with the owners manual...and if you self install it, make sure to follow ALL instructions Raritan PuraSan EX owners manual

The Raritan PH PowerFlush Raritan PH PowerFlush promo sheet is the new name for the Raritan PHIIE--the PHII with a motor hung on it that only replaces the pump handle,turning the top rated manual toilet into the poorest excuse for an electric toilet because it pumps with a much shorter, faster stroke than pumping manually. This causes it to take longer to prime, wearing rubber parts (seals, o-rings) faster and causing the pump to "choke" on flushes that slower more deliberate pumping can easily push through. Yes, it is easy to "convert" to manual and back again. I've known a LOT of people who hated the motor enough to "convert" back to manual permanently. Plus the motor doubles the price of the PH SuperFlush (current version of the manual PHII) Raritan PH SuperFlush

If the Admiral has her heart set on the "push button convenience" of an electric toilet, buy her a REAL electric toilet and stop worrying about being able to flush it in the event of a catastrophic power failure...'cuz if that happens, you'll also lose lights, nav equipment, communication and a bunch of other way more important things to worry about than flushing a toilet...but you'll still have a bucket and a long line to put it over the side to "flush it."

The Raritan SeaEra is the top rated basic macerating electric toilet and the "conversion" will let you keep your Jabsco bowl seat and lid Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet.

That's my $.02 worth anyway...but it's your boat and your money.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, raritan