Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2024, 10:00   #1

Raritan with no pressurized water

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been asked. I am the new owner of an 1970 Ohlson 38. Finishing up on some winter projects and want to improve the head situation without adding pressurized water.

Currently we have an old Jabsco head with through hull discharge with one seacock and pulling water from another seacock that acts as drain line for the sink. (Sink and toilet are both on Port.

The head also runs to a holding tank. Holding tank has pump out and vent attached as well as a tee to macerator and another seacock discharge.

Read where Peggy said it’s possible to close the incoming seacock and use fresh water in sink as last flush of the day. Seems smart.

Wondering if that would be sufficient to keep odors at bay if I upgraded to Raritan Elegance with seawater flush since I don’t have pressurized water.

Many thanks in advance.

Deaglan
DeaglanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 13:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Raritan with no pressurized water

Hi Daeglan...welcome aboard trawlerforum.com!

Read where Peggy said it’s possible to close the incoming seacock and use fresh water in sink as last flush of the day. Seems smart.
Wondering if that would be sufficient to keep odors at bay if I upgraded to Raritan Elegance with seawater flush since I don’t have pressurized water.

Adding a remote intake pump to the Elegance will ALLOW it use sea water, but it's actually designed to use pressurized fresh and there are less expensive ways to accomplish what you want accomplish. All sea water manual and electric macerating toilets can use the sink drain thru-hull to supply flush water or the sink to supply fresh water all the time or any time you think there's a need for it, not just at the end of the day and/or to supply a cupful or two of distilled white vinegar weekly to prevent mineral buildup in the plumbing or antifreeze when winterizing. The Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet is a top rated sea water macerating electric toilet that's considerably less expensive than the Elegance and is even available as "conversion" (everything south of the bowl) if you want to keep your existing bowl, seat and lid.
This retailer has it for $480 https://www.boatersland.com/rarseaeraconv.html

I have to ask why you don't want to add pressurized water to your boat. If it's because you're in a part of the world where keeping a full tank of water would be too expensive, a watermaker might be an affordable solution.

Please feel free to give me a shout if you have more questions about how to keep your sanitation system free from odors and other problems. You may also find my book (see link in my signature--just click on title-- useful, especially when it comes to maintaining the holding tank and I'm always happy to answer questions.

Regards,
--Peggie
peggie.hall@gmail.com
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 14:24   #3

Thanks Peggy!

I suppose I should pressurize it. It has a standard 48 gallon tank with three lines coming off. One to each sink and another mystery hose that seems to be going to a small shower head?

Also another question I had was if I went with a macerating head could I eliminate the macerater leading to the seacock? Or do I need the pumping action to use it past 3miles.

Thanks!
Old 27-04-2024, 15:02   #4

Looking more into pressurizing I can tee off to keep a manual pump onboard. Found this link.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/upgrading-the-water-systems

Mission creep is what I was concerned with on some level but makes sense to tackle all the plumbing and add a deck hose while I’m at it!
Old 27-04-2024, 19:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

That 3rd smaller line coming off the water tank is most likely the vent line...definitely the vent line if that hose fitting is at or on the top of the tank. The lines going to the sinks should be a the bottom of the tank.

Macerating toilets send toilet bowl contents to the holding tank, same as manual toilets do. A separate macerator pump in a line coming off the holding tank tank is needed to dump a tank at sea. That line can be teed into the pumpout line using a diverter valve (aka "y-valve") or it can be a second discharge line.

For some reason (I think it was because you asked about plumbing the Elegance to use sea water) I got the idea that your current toilet is an old Jabsco maceratng electric that you want to replcace. If it's actually a manual toilet and you want to stick with manual, the Raritan PH SuperFlush uses the tried and true PHII pump which has been the top rated rated manual toilet pump since Raritan introduced it 1983.
https://www.raritaneng.com/en_US/products/ph-superflush
Don't let the list price spook you..it can be found for a LOT less if you shop for it.

--Peggie
Old 13-06-2024, 22:10   #6

Had to sort some deck issues but did and back to the marine head.

One clarifier. If I had a macerating toilet and was out at sea wouldn’t I just send out the side and not pump into the tank to the pump out through macerator at sea?

Would there be a scenario where I would be at sea and filling the tank and then sending it into sea?

One additional question. Why do I have pvc ball valve on pump out line between holding tank and tee for macerator. I’m replacing lines and want to know if I need that one because I will switch to brass if I do since it’s sticking.

Thanks!
Old 15-06-2024, 09:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

A y-valve in the toilet discharge line would offer a choice between flushing into the tank or directly overboard.

Yes, there times when you'd use the tank--as a courtesy while in an anchorage, when in a marina etc-- then want to dump the tank when you return to open sea.

That ball valve was most likely a PO's alternative to a y-valve that provides a choice of pumping out or dumping. That it's sticking most likely means it needs lubrication. You wouldn't need the tee for the macerator if you replace it with a y-valve. Do NOT even THINK of replacing it with anything brass...With the exception of a bell, brass has NO PLACE on a boat! You could use bronze, but that's way more expensive than a y-valve and wouldn't eliminate the need for tee.

--Peggie
Old 15-06-2024, 10:11   #8

Right. No brass.

The ball valve is before the tee for the macerator.

Tank to Ball Valve to tee for macerator and pump out.

Does that exit from tank need to be a y valve as well or can it go from tank to tee?
Old 15-06-2024, 10:46   #9
Marine Service Provider

I've gotten lost...
The ball valve is before the tee for the macerator.
Tank to Ball Valve to tee for macerator and pump out.

Replace ball valve and tee with y-valve
Tank to y-valve, use to choose between pumpout and macerator pump

Does that exit from tank need to be a y valve as well or can it go from tank to tee?
No. You won't have a tee any more...the only y-valve needed is the one that will replace the ball valve and tee. From the tank straight to the macerator pump.

I think I've sorted it all out for you....try sketching it out.

--Peggie
Old 15-06-2024, 11:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Now let's get back to your toilet. By all means add pressurized water to your boat, but not just for a toilet. Raritan makes an excellent sea water macerating electric toilet--the Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet Defender has it with household bowl for about $600. https://defender.com/en_us/raritan-s...usehold-toilet.

--Peggie

Tags
raritan, water