Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 06:59   #1

Raritran Electroscan vs Purasan

Background info:

I have a new (old) 80' converted fishing boat .

I plan to use this vessel as a mother ship in SE Alaska for an adventure vessel. Not charter per se. We plan to take out no more than 6 passengers at a time. One head is in place on the second level and I will add a head on the other 2 levels to bring it to a total of three heads and three showers. One on each level.
I love the idea of neutralizing the effluent before sending overboard even though it is OK at the marina i am docked at.

I will be out near the fishing and sightseeing places with the mother ship anchored for 5 days at a time.

During this time the folks will do there thing during the day while i prepare meals etc on the boat.

When they come back from their day trips of fishing, hunting , etc. i will feed them and they can clean up sit in the hot tub, tell fishing lies....

Questions are:

1. How many heads will ONE electro scan service.

1.a.Can i have a holding tank in front of it and dump three toilets into it.. and then let the electro scan process it as needed?

1.b.Would that require too much power?

2. Can water.html" target="_blank">grey-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-water be run through it too? (as in a Sani access toilet/shower/sink combo?
______
3. Or is my answer to simply buy 3 ES units and plumb each head separately to the hull.html" target="_blank">thru-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-hull?
4. Would it be better to use the ES or the Purasan in this type application?

I would like to be able to advertise the boat as clean and green.... and i personally dont want to snorkel in poop either.
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 18:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Raritran Electroscan vs Purasan

1. How many heads will ONE electro scan service.

Two providing both located within the maximum distance from it prescribed in the ES "Installation, Operation and Maintenance Guide" (aka "owners manual") ElectroScan owners manual or your toilets are one of the high end all-china "thrones" that have pumps powerful enough to put them further away. Those toilets include the Raritan Atlantes Freedom, Raritan Marine Elegance and the Thetford Tecma.

1.a.Can i have a holding tank in front of it and dump three toilets into it.. and then let the electro scan process it as needed?

Adding the Raritan "Hold 'n' Treat Controls" Raritan HoldnTreat controls would let you do that.

1.b.Would that require too much power?

The ES can only accept a max of 1.5 gal at a time, so the power needed would be the contents in the holding tank x power consumed by the number of treatment cycles needed to process it. However, since this can be done while the boat is underway, power consumption may not be an issue.

2. Can water.html" target="_blank">grey-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-water be run through it too? (as in a Sani access toilet/shower/sink combo?

No. Toilet waste only.

_____
3. Or is my answer to simply buy 3 ES units and plumb each head separately to the hull.

You'd most likely only need two.

4. Would it be better to use the ES or the Purasan in this type application?

My choice would be the PuraSan because a) it doesn't need salt...b)it works equally well in salt, fresh and brackish water...and c) salinity in very cold water can be too low for an ES to treat.

And btw, my answers to all your questions except #4 apply to both the ElectroScan and the PuraSan.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa