Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2008, 05:09   #1

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
redoing Fridge interior

Maybe you guys could give me some ideas on this. I just purchased a new (old) boat with a front opening fridge. The interior is really beat up, but it workds great. It is front opening only and at eye level (a nice touch). I would like to refit the interior in such a way as to add new shelves with fiddles in the front, as well as some slide out bins, much like a residential unit. I would also like some ideas on cleaning up the sides. They are of a white material that appears bonded in some way. It there a special paint that would hold up to the cold and sweating of the box? Also, one other thing. The cooling plate is in the rear, and I was wondering if it would be possible to install a small circulating fan, such as on a computer, to push the cold air around. It is on an Irwin 52. Thanks!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 08:04   #2

I'd look seriously into converting/replacing it with a TOP loader. Everytime you open a side loader all the cold air at the bottom heads for the sole. That's the least of it's drawbacks. Also when opening it when heeled away from the door you'll most likely have contents heading for the sole. At the very least you'll have those silde out shelves sliding out as the door is opened. Eye level is where that cold bottle will head when the door is opened in a good seaway. Be sure you have a very good latch mechanism on the door and those sliding shelves. And big fiddles.

I had a boat with a side opener and I hated it. I hope you have better luck with yours.
Any good epoxy paint will work. Just be very good in the prep steps. And sure a fan can be installed. seal the wire entrance holes really well, or use a battery fan. May not last too long given the moisture level. Carry spares.

good luck with her...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:47   #3

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Thanks Randy, but I'm staying with my front loader, it's just too damn nice to use and the outside finish is all teak. Keeps everything really cold as well. I just want to do the inside over.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 18:43   #4

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
In Steve Dashews book crusing encylopedia, he mentions putting thick pieces of clear plastic in overlapping strips over the front opening of the door to help with spillover and keep contents in when opening the door. I would look into that.

Far as the interior goes, what about bonding new formica to the old ? Just prep it well first, then glue it in.
There are fans made for fridges, but some just use a small computer fan that only draws mili amps. Not a problem. I am going to install on myself when I redo my box.

But personaly for me, a top loading fridge is the only way to go on a sailboat.

Good luck.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 20:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We have a front loat and a top loat and both have their place.

What about using Starboard to freshen it up?
Old 19-11-2008, 08:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Send us a pic of the inside...are they flat surfaces or contoured like a house fridge.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 08:14   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Thanks Randy, but I'm staying with my front loader, it's just too damn nice to use and the outside finish is all teak. Keeps everything really cold as well. I just want to do the inside over.
Once you get a front loader on a boat you'll never go back to a top loader.

Tags
refrigerator