Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: which do you have
water cooled 9 21.43%
air cooled 15 35.71%
separate refer/freezer boxes 15 35.71%
Spillover 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 19:35   #61

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: refer in the tropics, which type system do you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
your still using the ah but just off of the solar panels not out of the battery.
Yes, but once the batteries are full that solar output would otherwise be wasted.

So this seems to be a good solution if you have excess solar power.
Old 12-08-2019, 22:55   #62

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
your still using the ah but just off of the solar panels not out of the battery.
Yes still using AHs.
But they are 'cheap' AHs. No diesel is needed to be bought or burned. No generator or main engine rattling away clocking up maintenance time.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 23:19   #63

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
The ah are effectively being stored in the form of frozen eutectic solution, saving the batteries for more important things, like entertainment.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 23:39   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The ah are effectively being stored in the form of frozen eutectic solution, saving the batteries for more important things, like entertainment.
or the AIS yes:-)
Old 13-08-2019, 06:19   #65
Marine Service Provider

a64pilot's, refer in the tropics, which type system do you have
If properly designed you don’t need water cooling, The key is properly designed.
If I were to go to water cooling, I would not consider seawater cooled, I’d use the fresh water tank for obvious reasons.

I agree pumped saltwater cooling a small compressor shortens systems service life and requires continuous daily mentoring. What about the dangers of using fresh drinking water pumped through condenser and returned to fresh water tank? What about the low voltage electrical current that is discharged from compressors and some boat grounding systems and then discharged into fresh water tank? It is true fresh water takes longer than salt water to cause metal loss damage but is this risk worth it? E Z Kold added these band-aid pumps to keep cooling water away from cupronickel failing condensers just before going out of business. Most sailboat water tanks are below the water line and over time water temperature in tanks is much the same temperature as the outside hull sea water. Is using that preheated water tank a good idea after adding 300 Btu to 800 Btu of heat produced each hour compressor runs on your present system’s daily. This would surely affect energy used by increasing refrigerant pressures. My third concern would be the drink ability of over stimulated bacteria cased by adding refrigeration process heat to my fresh water. Blue water live aboard sailors already know how quickly fresh water tanks become contaminated.

Why try to compensate for insufficient capacity condensing units, would it not be smarter to use a correctly designed air cooled condensing unit that did not just circulate heat but disposed of heat somewhere else which is the normal marine standard for 1/6 HP and smaller compressors.

Yes I “Poll” for Air-cooling small 12 volt systems except when Keel Coolers system installation applications are designed to operate compressor temperatures below 130 degrees F. Also boats intended to have AC electrical power on board or connected to boat's with Keel Cooler condenser refrigeration should consider isolation transformers.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote