Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2019, 18:48   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Refridgeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
396 cu.ft. OR 198 cu.ft is not very big, my fridge freezer combined size may be twice that volume
I dunno about that 8-D

~70 bathtubs
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 18:54   #17
cruiser

But seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
The spec sheet I have says you can have three evaporators, two joined together and a third that can be mounted 18” away. That would be great for my setup where the fridge and freezer are directly alongside one another. Two joined plates in the freezer, remote plate in the fridge.
The plot thickens, more and more interesting.

I'm guessing all the plates must be cooling a single (pretty) contiguous space, not counting spillover

since all are serviced by the one set of controls / thermostat?
Old 29-07-2019, 05:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
But seriously

The plot thickens, more and more interesting.

I'm guessing all the plates must be cooling a single (pretty) contiguous space, not counting spillover

since all are serviced by the one set of controls / thermostat?
Nova Kool’s manual does show refrigerant flows through all three plates with a single line. The twin plates for freezer receive refrigerant first then refrigerant leaving freezer plates into a 18 inch long copper tube to third refrigerator plate and then back to compressor/condensing unit. The only temperature control over both boxes is a single thermostat connected to twin freezer plates. Refrigerator area temperature will depend on how cold or how warm the freezer thermostat is set at.

At lower Latitudes and with box combined size over 5 cubic ft the BD35 compressor is not large enough.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 08:34   #19
cruiser

Unless maybe insulation is increased, not the drinks fridge opened only once a day?

How much of that could be freezer, say Caribbean summers but against the hull below the waterline, heat well vented away?
Old 29-07-2019, 08:55   #20
cruiser

Revision of proposed layout. Top view, not to scale, bottom spillover area can be reduced, in extreme deficit conditions disabled 100% sealed up.

Feedback pleaseClick image for larger version

Name:	Picture_20190729_115251675.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	196825
Old 31-07-2019, 01:21   #21

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
I dunno about that 8-D

~70 bathtubs
Sorry, that should have read “litres”

As far as contiguous spaces, if the freezer is half the size of the fridge with twice the evaporator area and given that the refrigerant has passed through the freezer and absorbed some heat there, it is not unlikely that a freezer set at minus 10 would result in the fridge running at plus 5 with one thermostat setting. At least that’s my uninformed opinion
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 06:26   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Looks to me like there's only one condenser, just that it wraps around all four sides.

Clever optimization of surface area, exposure to both sides

https://i.imgur.com/uGDt5ov.png

That is the evaporator, it’s shape looks nearly identical to the old AB cold machine, I believe the box type evaporator was common in very old house freezers / fridges.
My boat came with a super cold machine, they are only good for small boxes in my opinion.
Sizing, BTU wise of a system has more to do with how often warm food is placed inside of the box from my observation than opening a top loading fridge / freezer.
Putting a couple gallons of ice tea or lemonade etc into a fridge really puts a load on a system.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:11   #23
cruiser

Yes brain fart evaporator.

Can it be installed in any position?

For example vertically as shown?
Old 31-07-2019, 11:54   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Refridgeration

I know of no reason that an evaporator couldn’t be mounted in any position, to be honest I’ve never considered it.
The pictured one is intended to function as a receptacle, so the closed end is the bottom. Inside is the freezer, outside is the refrigerator.
Thermostat I believe is operated by the refrigeration temp and the evaporator is at whatever temp is required to maintain the fridge temp.

Liquid enters the evaporator and of course boils off into a gas, this phase change absorbs heat, so I don’t think orientation would matter?

The AB cold machine came with some really high dollar aluminum vertical ice trays, that you of course placed inside of the box and that took up maybe half the space?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 12:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The AB cold machine came with some really high dollar aluminum vertical ice trays, that you of course placed inside of the box and that took up maybe half the space?

Two trays would take up less than a quarter of the vertical box. I know, I have one. It also came with a nifty bent plate that lays on the bottom solid part and holds the trays in place vertically. While I have two trays, I usually only use one, take the cubes out and put them in a freezer bag, easy to get to, while freezing up the next batch. Plenty of room for other stuff in the evaporator.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote