Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 20:40   #331

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Refrigeration - Evaporator vs. Holding Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
For those of us in the United States, be aware that the title "engineer" in Australia is, unlike the case in the United States, not a protected title.

"The title 'engineer' is not protected in Australia, therefore anyone can claim to be an engineer and practice without the necessary competencies, understanding of standards, or in compliance with a code of ethics. This exposes our profession to poor quality engineering, a lack of public trust, and increased general risk – be it financial, safety or environmental."

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...tion-engineers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regula...in_engineering

Bill
I am a little confused,,what is the point of your post?
Are you unable to constructively add to the topic so decided to play the man instead of the ball? It appears just so pointless!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 21:11   #332
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes taking sides, forming into "teams" seems more important to some than striving at consensus to arrive at the truth.

Personally I give zero credence to formal qualifications, judge a man and his expertise by the results of his work.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 22:10   #333

Boat: Catalina 470

Ok, so now Petes qualifications are getting attacked.. Lol.

Has anyone here produced more marine refrigeration systems and successfully run a marine refrigeration company as long as Ozpete? I think he has the runs on the board!
How about showing some respect.
BTW we recieve is expertise free of charge here, not a bad deal for us.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 04:45   #334

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I am a little confused,,what is the point of your post?
Are you unable to constructively add to the topic so decided to play the man instead of the ball? It appears just so pointless!
I like your phrase "play the man instead of the ball". It is very descriptive. It is also exactly what I was trying NOT to do. That is why I quoted from an Australian web site and gave links to both its source and to a fuller Wikipedia article on the subject.

I simply wanted to point out that Australia unlike the United States does not have a system for the licensing of engineers.

I had no intention of maligning Pete. I heartily apologize.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 05:32   #335
cruiser

Post #296 certainly seems to have that intention.

And my point was that the term engineer is perfectly legal to use by anyone in the US unless fraud is involved, enforced by civil liability, would depend strictly on the context.
Old 15-05-2018, 05:53   #336

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes taking sides, forming into "teams" seems more important to some than striving at consensus to arrive at the truth.

Personally I give zero credence to formal qualifications, judge a man and his expertise by the results of his work.
Couldnt agree more. I am an Australian with formal bits of paper stating that I am an "Engineer'. However bits of paper dont get stuff done. I have learnt more from floor sweepers and coffee makers than most qualifed people that already know everything.

I find the people that are so keen to tell you how much they know are often way too smart to be much help.

However Im not sure of the relevence of this line of discussion to the thread?
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 06:02   #337
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In a lot of the world aircraft mechanics are called Engineers.
Same name, different meaning apparently.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:47   #338
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Ah. That was not clear calling himself retired.

Richard, links to your website, specific offerings?
john 61ct, My website is a free DIY help site that I still use to revise and update information in my books. Technical books become outdated four years after publication so I use my website and public registration now closed Forum to keep refrigeration information currant.
As far as question of specific offerings I am no longer physically able to provide free service calls anywhere in the US. I do not plan on having additional books printed The DIY books are no longer available and I have less than 50 Twelve volt refrigeration left.
I do not feel anyone needs my books anymore and if they cannot find answers to their questions on my website or forum they can Email me direct at; richard@kollmann-marine.com.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 14:17   #339

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Real silly observation, but if your fridge will keep beer ice cold, and your freezer will keep ice cream hard, your in, you really have met the requirements, even if you don’t drink beer or eat ice cream, they are indicators, you don’t need fancy digital thermometers.
Finally! A standard for marine refrigeration efficiency even I can understand!!

Btw, why this obsession with trying to figure the absolute last drop of efficiency out of refrig systems? You see this as well in the battery monitoring threads where it seems mission critical whether you recharge at 60% or 50%. If you're starting from scratch just ask one of these gurus what plates they would install in their own boats and move on to more important issues!
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 14:34   #340
cruiser

Because many boats have very limited space for solar, those living on the hook who don't have a genny want to make best use of their limited energy available.

If it true that eutectic systems are radically more efficient even without daily surplus production, I for one would consider that a very important fact to confirm.

Those not interested in maximising efficiency can of course just ignore the topic.
Old 15-05-2018, 14:56   #341
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I'm going eutectic due to lots of solar and wind power
Old 15-05-2018, 15:20   #342
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I'm going eutectic due to lots of solar and wind power

I think that is the most logical reason to do so. For me efficiency is sort of mute, reason is I have crappy insulation, I don’t care how efficient the rest of the thing is, my insulation makes it crap, and I have a feeling that most are the same as I.
My boat has a 14 cu ft ice box, it came with an AB Super Cold machine, how well do you think that worked
Although it was over 20yrs old, it still worked. When it was on, it had a 100% duty cycle
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 15:32   #343
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think that is the most logical reason to do so. For me efficiency is sort of mute, reason is I have crappy insulation, I don’t care how efficient the rest of the thing is, my insulation makes it crap, and I have a feeling that most are the same as I.
My boat has a 14 cu ft ice box, it came with an AB Super Cold machine, how well do you think that worked
Although it was over 20yrs old, it still worked. When it was on, it had a 100% duty cycle
I'm redoing my little box using aerogel insulation. I can only for 2.5 inches of insulation on 3 sides. And still keep a 3.5 c.f. Fridge and 1.5c.f. freezer ( variable sizes. )
Old 15-05-2018, 18:08   #344

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Because many boats have very limited space for solar, those living on the hook who don't have a genny want to make best use of their limited energy available.

If it true that eutectic systems are radically more efficient even without daily surplus production, I for one would consider that a very important fact to confirm.

Those not interested in maximising efficiency can of course just ignore the topic.
I don't think anyone is claiming that one type of system is "radically" more efficient. As A64 and others have amply pointed out, it's more about the box insulation. Most want to make best use of limited available energy, whether it be solar or diesel, but counting amps seems to have almost a religious zeal for some. Aren't there higher priorities when it comes to the daily upkeep and operation of a sailboat?
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 18:34   #345
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I don't think anyone is claiming that one type of system is "radically" more efficient.
The controversy above resulted from some disputing Pete's published test results showing that his eutectic design used **half** the energy compared to his thin-plate design.

Compared to tests with other designs that have shown a difference under 10%, once the "excess energy" factor is taken out of the picture.

I personally feel that new data is very much worth exploring further.

Some feel it should just be rejected out of hand as impossible.

Others have just expressed energy efficiency just isn't important, not worth bothering about.

As the saying goes, it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

Tags
refrigeration