Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2021, 19:08   #376
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Refrigeration - Evaporator vs. Holding Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
"As has been pointed out earlier, these are not the correct units. The specific heat of water (the sensible heat) is 4184 J/kg-°C or 1 cal/g-°C or 1 Cal/kg-°C or 1 BTU/lb-°F. The heat of fusion of water (the latent heat of freezing) is 333,550 J/kg or 79.7 cal/g or 79.7 Cal/kg or 144 BTU/lb. Watts are not an amount of energy, watts are an amount of energy flowing in a period of time. An amount of heat is expressed in joules, small calories, large calories, or BTUs."

We would not have these problems if we stuck to BTUs and Ions or fractions of and leave the Watts for electrical definitions.
Really well there are a few dozen solar physics that would really like to know that
Old 23-08-2021, 22:58   #377

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeLouie View Post
Oh come on Raymond, do you also want to go back to 'pounds, shillings, pence',......... 'ounces, pounds',........... 'inches, feet, yards, miles' etc ect.? The imperial system is a nightmare, with all of its crazy interacting factors. Decimal weights and measures are a God send.
A lot of the SI stuff has a problem for folks without any science background.

The problem is that by the time you wend your way from LMT to heat and heat flow in refrigeration any connection is lost in a forest of obscurity. And since Watts is used to define various physical but apparently unrelated properties it is a recipe for confusion.

The old imperial system was free of much of this obscurity.

One British Thermal unit being the heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree fahrenheit and a ton of refrigeration is the amount of heat flow required to change the ice state of water to fluid in one day.

What could be simpler and more easily comprehended and is the system still in use in the largest western industrial and consumer country.
Old 24-08-2021, 00:21   #378

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
And since Watts is used to define various physical but apparently unrelated properties it is a recipe for confusion.
Only if the units are used incorrectly. A Watt has only one meaning and it relates to the rate of transfer of ANY form of energy in exactly the same way, whether it is the rate that heat is moving or the rate than electrical charge is moving.

Watt hours and BTUs are entirely equivalent.
1 Watt hour is 0.293071 BTU

And if you are regularly working in litres and degrees celsius as most of the world is, BTUs are a PITA

The confusion only comes in when people don't know the difference between power and energy and persist in incorrectly using Watts when talking about quantities of energy (heat or electrical, it's all the same)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 00:46   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Only if the units are used incorrectly. A Watt has only one meaning and it relates to the rate of transfer of ANY form of energy in exactly the same way, whether it is the rate that heat is moving or the rate than electrical charge is moving.

Watt hours and BTUs are entirely equivalent.
1 Watt hour is 0.293071 BTU

And if you are regularly working in litres and degrees celsius as most of the world is, BTUs are a PITA

The confusion only comes in when people don't know the difference between power and energy and persist in incorrectly using Watts when talking about quantities of energy (heat or electrical, it's all the same)
I was wondering when we were going to hear from you mate.

"ANY form of energy" And that is fine when dealing with folks familiar with a bit of the science of heat and thermodynamics but there's probably a lot of participants in Cruiser Forum who, whilst without that knowledge, are interested in refrigeration and would like to know more about it.

Keeping it simple will assist them in this. I would guess that the forum is predominately US in membership and the US still uses the imperial system and its BTUs and Tons.

The steam age did a hell of a lot more for thermodynamics than thermodynamics ever did for the steam age.
Old 24-08-2021, 11:13   #380

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

My geothermal is measured in tons
For what it’s worth
Old 24-08-2021, 12:02   #381
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

As these threads always do, they devolve into what I call Dock Expert BS.
Technautics has been building Eutectic plate units since 1968 and are currently selling them faster than we can meet demands. If people want to think they are not as efficient as a rolled thin aluminum evaporator, hey...fine. But years of real life test data shows otherwise as does thousands, of happy customers both with our CoolBlue units and OzeFridge units. I've learned long ago that debating technical details on internet forums is a waste of time, although it is fun sometimes to poke the bears and watch people squirm and reach for thin air...ha ah ah. It's the same nay-sayers every time...people see through them quite easily honestly.

Now, back to trying to find a way to keep up with orders...anyone want a Job? We can't find employees with all the Free Government Cheese being spread around the USA these days.

Cheers
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 12:09   #382
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Now, back to trying to find a way to keep up with orders...anyone want a Job? We can't find employees with all the Free Government Cheese being spread around the USA these days.

Cheers
Sure you pay my slip fees just say where
Old 24-08-2021, 12:11   #383
Marine Service Provider

Yes, there are many ways to express energy, This thread was comparing energy efficiency of refrigerator evaporators Roll bond thin plate versus Eutectic solution ice plates? To simplify this question which plate results in the desired temperatures within the same exact box, when comparing Daily Electricity energy to melting Thermal energy of low temperature ice.

This well read thread has covered all of the advantages and disadvantages of the Eutectic versus Standard evaporator. It would be interesting to see your thoughts if you were to select a new evaporator in the future, witch one would you select for your present size insulated box?

Thank to everyone participating in this well worth pleasure boat refrigeration it oversize
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 12:39   #384
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Yes, there are many ways to express energy, This thread was comparing energy efficiency of refrigerator evaporators Roll bond thin plate versus Eutectic solution ice plates? To simplify this question which plate results in the desired temperatures within the same exact box, when comparing Daily Electricity energy to melting Thermal energy of low temperature ice.

This well read thread has covered all of the advantages and disadvantages of the Eutectic versus Standard evaporator. It would be interesting to see your thoughts if you were to select a new evaporator in the future, witch one would you select for your present size insulated box?

Thank to everyone participating in this well worth pleasure boat refrigeration it oversize
Have had both and installed both for customers personally I will always go holdover plate for a few reasons . First and foremost I have an excess of solar and wind energy production in most afternoons.

Secondly and by far most importantly the ease of defrosting a stainless steel plate with an ice scraper vs a heat gun or hair dryer for a normal roll formed aluminum evap plate.

Frosts a great insulator reducing the effectiveness of either plate type significantly.

5 minutes defrosting of holdover and pick out the ice vs an hour and lots of water in the bottom of the box.
Old 24-08-2021, 13:38   #385

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I'm not a refrigeration expert but over the years I've had my share of failures and successes with various types of refrigeration systems. And I've learned a bit along the way. I now favor cycling evaporator plates over eutectic for one simple reason, they maintain tighter control over the box temperature and my refrigerated food lasts longer.

I'm probably mistaken but I don't feel it's a fair comparison to compare aluminum evaporators with critical orifices to eutectic plates with TXVs. I'd like to see two well-designed and sized, equal systems compared with both the evaporator plate and eutectic plate controlled by a TXV with internal box temperature and consumed energy logged.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 16:53   #386
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sure you pay my slip fees just say where
Be careful Newhaul, I here that Rich's employees all have to wear one of 'those' company shirts!!!
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 16:56   #387
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeLouie View Post
Be careful Newhaul, I here that Rich's employees all have to wear one of 'those' company shirts!!!
Independent contractor on a 1099 wear my own company shirts.
Old 24-08-2021, 23:25   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I'm not a refrigeration expert but over the years I've had my share of failures and successes with various types of refrigeration systems. And I've learned a bit along the way. I now favor cycling evaporator plates over eutectic for one simple reason, they maintain tighter control over the box temperature and my refrigerated food lasts longer.

I'm probably mistaken but I don't feel it's a fair comparison to compare aluminum evaporators with critical orifices to eutectic plates with TXVs. I'd like to see two well-designed and sized, equal systems compared with both the evaporator plate and eutectic plate controlled by a TXV with internal box temperature and consumed energy logged.
I'm a bit baffled as to why an evaporator plate refrigerator would maintain a more constant temperature than one using a eutectic tank.

Firstly the eutectic fluid in the tank constitutes a thermal mass which, even if not frozen, should slow changes in temperature within the box.

And secondly, during the freezing and melting process the eutectic fluid takes in and gives off heat at a constant temperature.

In contrast the constant cycling evaporator plate operates under a hysteresis regime wherein the temperature is allowed to rise to an upper level where the compressor starts and the system absorbs heat and pumps it to the outside environment and on attaining the lower temperature setting the compressor shut off. The temperature constantly cycles between the set points for the box interior.

Assuming that the refrigeration system in a eutectic is set up to maintain some ice in the eutectic tank at all times the temperature in the box should never cycle up and down at all.
Old 25-08-2021, 02:02   #389
Marine Service Provider

RamondR The reasons eutectic plates are not stable in maintaining box temperatures are most all of them use Glycol and water and not true eutectic solution.

Kenbo you are correct in believing TXV provides faster reaction time and far better super heat evaporator control over the less expensive Cap tube orifice. TXV also can compensate for climate changes.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 12:21   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
RamondR The reasons eutectic plates are not stable in maintaining box temperatures are most all of them use Glycol and water and not true eutectic solution.

Kenbo you are correct in believing TXV provides faster reaction time and far better super heat evaporator control over the less expensive Cap tube orifice. TXV also can compensate for climate changes.
Hi Richard.

I suspect that the problem with pseudo eutectic solution made from glycol/water or alcohol/water mixtures might be related to the concentration of glycol in the mixture and that the concentration required for refrigeration temperatures do not exhibit the separation of constituents as badly readily as those required for freezer temperatures.

That being said the company that Ozylou, and Ozypete before him, is employed by appears to be willing to carry out the tests required to properly ascertain the severity of the problem at the concentrations required, after all it would simply require placing samples of the various concentration in clear plastic containers in a freezer and observing what happens.

As for the separation and stratification of constituents problem some convection and consequent remixing must occur in the molten portion of the pseudo eutectic solution must occur but whether or not this is sufficient to maintain homogeneity of the solution. Again a matter for testing rather than just intuition.

Tags
refrigeration