Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2023, 17:01   #16

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Re: Refrigeration kit recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you can find the space for it, these are a no-brainer… I have three.

https://www.snomasterusa.com/product...fridgefreezer/

Stainless tends to transfer heat quit well. This has a 50 duty cycle, whereas a will insulated built in box can get down to 30%. Mine is at 30% or less in the tropics. Refrigeration is key to solar independence.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 17:17   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Stainless tends to transfer heat quit well. This has a 50 duty cycle, whereas a will insulated built in box can get down to 30%. Mine is at 30% or less in the tropics. Refrigeration is key to solar independence.
The stainless is the outside, you can’t have foam outside. I dunno what to say…

I have tested these extensively and published all figures a couple years ago. It beat my boxes with 6” foam insulation so I’m pretty sure they will beat yours as well.

Duty cycle isn’t just about the insulation of the walls… it’s also the gaskets, paths along refrigerant lines, sensor cables etc. and most importantly, the temperature difference between box contents and ambient. The Snomaster boxes were designed for brutal African climate 4x4 safari and are extremely well built. They also come with an insulated fitted cover that goes all around (see attached picture)

We have one EX85D split box that we use as fridge and two EX95 boxes as freezers. We do expedition style cruising, i.e. we bring everything we need for a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4330.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	279141  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 18:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I find it humorous that they all claim to have far better efficiency than everyone else, yet they all have the same secop variable speed compressor.

There are differences in how the overall system is engineered, filters, dryers fancy boxes to mount the compressor in etc. But when it comes down to it, the major mechanical components are exactly the same. Efficiency is going to be more related to how well your box is insulated than differences between brands of conversion kits. Spend more on a fancy kit if you want the best support and warranty. Or buy a cheap kit and have the same compressor, evaporator, and reliability.

Also understand the difference between an eutectic plate and an evaporator. One isn't better than the other. The eutectic plate is used where you would be running an engine once per day to charge, make water, etc. You take advantage of that extra power to freeze the plate so you don't use power for cooling until the next engine run. If you run off of solar and don't run an engine once per day, the evaporator is the better choice.
Except cruise ro uses a cubigel compressor . Also in my opinion a eutectic plate system is much better if you are running off renewables . At the end of the day your batteries are full so you run the fridge directly off solar . ( solar doesn't work at night)
Old 03-08-2023, 18:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Another vote for Ozefridge, and with the dollar the way is is good buying. Oh and I believe that they don't use a seacop comp.
Big negative for ozfridge here stateside is shipping time cost and the fact they ship empty so you have to mix and add your own eutectic plate solution on the receiving end.
Old 03-08-2023, 19:40   #20

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

I have the Technautics CoolBlue and absolutely love it.

The only issue I have had with it is that the previous owner had someone install it on my boat, and they used wiring that was too small, this lead to early on having an issue where the fridge kept cutting out.

When I had the issue right after going to costco with $500 in groceries sitting in the fridge, I sent an email to them asking what I should check, Rich called me from a sat phone in Mexico on a sunday 30 minutes later and helped me diagnose it and we got it running so none of my food spoiled.

It is because of this every boat I have from here on out will have one of his units.

Since getting the wiring issue fixed, the CoolBlue has performed flawlessly!

I could not be more pleased with it!
Old 03-08-2023, 21:59   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Big negative for ozfridge here stateside is shipping time cost and the fact they ship empty so you have to mix and add your own eutectic plate solution on the receiving end.
Yeah, I can see how this may be a problem for some.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 22:12   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Except cruise ro uses a cubigel compressor . Also in my opinion a eutectic plate system is much better if you are running off renewables . At the end of the day your batteries are full so you run the fridge directly off solar . ( solar doesn't work at night)
Think this through: you use solar to charge a eutectic “cold battery” while a an evaporator based system uses a LFP battery to charge that instead for use at night. In both scenarios you convert solar energy and store it for later use.

The thing is that the eutectic battery is not as efficient as the LFP + evaporator one and also it cannot hold a steady temperature like the evaporator based system can.

While this may be bearable at night, it isn’t during the day where the evaporator system runs super efficiently straight from solar while the eutectic system is wasting energy all day with mediocre box temperature holding.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 23:16   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Think this through: you use solar to charge a eutectic “cold battery” while a an evaporator based system uses a LFP battery to charge that instead for use at night. In both scenarios you convert solar energy and store it for later use.

The thing is that the eutectic battery is not as efficient as the LFP + evaporator one and also it cannot hold a steady temperature like the evaporator based system can.

While this may be bearable at night, it isn’t during the day where the evaporator system runs super efficiently straight from solar while the eutectic system is wasting energy all day with mediocre box temperature holding.
Actually with my cool blue I never have had issues with fluctuating temperatures. The probe needs to be on the plate . And keep the frost to a minimum.
I charge lfp with solar till mid day or so then run the fridge in the afternoon but with 4 inches of cryogel I do have an extremely efficient box .
Had the same system on the spencer that renegade owns now . Never had any issues on her after installing the solar and new batteries the ones that came with the boat were worn out .
Old 04-08-2023, 02:48   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

Ummm… seriously. If mixing that solution is too hard then people really shouldn’t be sailing boats. Honestly, it is hardly difficult.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:58   #25

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ummm… seriously. If mixing that solution is too hard then people really shouldn’t be sailing boats. Honestly, it is hardly difficult.
Hey, I'm pretty sure mixing a 10% solution would be difficult for some here.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:48   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
No that is not the issue the problem is to make sure you don't overfill and do a good compression when filling so to have expansion room but not having any air space .
For me it's the shipping time and cost to ship from you to me.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:06   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hey, I'm pretty sure mixing a 10% solution would be difficult for some here.
Not an issue but it's not 10% .
The actual percentage is dependant on the desired phase change point and is it for a freezer or refrigerator.
For refrigeration you want a freeze point of 0°F
And for freezer it's-10°F to -15°f .
That is to maintain a good stable box temperature.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:17   #28

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
If you plan ahead none of that is an issue. Also just make a mix and test it in the refrig.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:32   #29

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Our eutectic is the best. Engine running in and out of harbors, put control on high using 7amps while alternator is running, also turn on the hot weather domestic water tank pump to improve performance and shorten cycle down to -7c.

Then when engine is turned off, control and pump is set back to normal, using solar to finish even 100 watts is enough. Night time it cycles once or twice, using perhaps 14ah. If I ever rebuild the chest it will become even better.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:44   #30

As has been suggested, there is nothing magic about the various brands. There are VERY few manufacturers of compressors in the world, and everybody uses the same set. And the thing is, all the compressors are capable of running for 20+ years if they are not running constantly. Pick a brand that has good parts availability, and more importantly, technical support.

A successful install relies on a very well insulated box. This is the downfall of most. Older systems typically have waterlogged insulation, and you would be better to rip it out and start over. The accumulated compressor run time on a good box will be less than half that of the average factory installed box. We ripped out a crappy boatbuilder installed freezer box and replaced it with a bespoke, highly insulated design. Cut the power consumption by 1/2. That change was the equivalent of installing an additional 200W solar panel and 100 A-hr of battery capacity.

No matter what the salesmen say about efficiency, do not go with any kind of pumped water cooling. They are a maintenance nightmare. Even keel coolers can sometimes be a problem if there are significant height differences from compressor to keel cooler, to box.

And finally, any kind of water cooled box is (of course) useless when you are hauled out. If you are a full time liveaboard cruiser, needing to empty the refrigerator before a maintenance haulout is a real PITA. Of course you CAN install both air and keel coolers, but I would encourage you to spend that money upgrading the box.

We have identical freezers, one on a keel cooler, one air cooled. We do not see a measurable difference in performance even in tropical temperatures, like summertime in Grenada. I can calculate the theoretical difference, but, advertising claims aside, it is too small to see in the real world.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, refrigeration