Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2023, 17:54   #61

Boat: Voyage 500
Talking Re: Refrigeration kit recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo_at_sea View Post
I will be replacing a broken norcold system for a 5 cu ft cooler. Any recommendation on refrigeration cooler kits for efficiency and reliability?
I refit both a refrigerator and freezer for our Voyage 500 in 2020. We used Technautics Refrigeration which is also part of CruiseRO Water Makers. The service is spectacular. The products are EXTREMELY reliable and very affordable as well as feature rich. Cannot recommend them enough! No we are not paid to make these statements. Just users and happy ones at that.

s/v SERENITY
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:42   #62

Re: Refrigeration kit recommendation

I read five pages of responses and I was surprised there was not one mention of Engel refridge/freezers. I have a 60 quart model for about 6 years now and it is quite nice. I think it’s maximum draw is about 3 amps per hour (12 volts). They are pricey at about $1600.

I just bought an old Baba 40 and plan to use some of the salon seating for the Engel. The existing fridge is huge in this boat and I expect I may not be able to keep up with it’s consumption. The previous owner always docked with electricity. I am adding 300 watts of solar to start and see if the existing batteries can work. I happen to have four still good 4D AGM’s but I don’t know where to fit them yet. I leave my place in Montana in late October (after fire season) to head back to the boat (Indiantown Marina) near the end of hurricane season. Whew.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:44   #63

Boat: Allied 42 XL2
Re: Refrigeration kit recommendation

First off, insulate, insulate, insulate. Then seal any joints/areas that might let in hot air.

I have used the CU 200 cold machine in several boats using standard rectangular evaporators. They have proven basic, very reliable, relatively inexpensive, and easy to DIY. My last two installations included a water-cooled option which has proved to be an excellent add-on as I spend all my time in hot, southern areas. The condensers have been in a cockpit locker, to keep the compressor heat out of the cabin, but benefit from the water cooling when the inside of the locker gets hot. Keel coolers are OK but need frequent cleaning of the outside of the tubes. I also saw a cooler mounted in a galley sink drain hose, again a cleaning issue.

Keep it sealed, keep it insulated, and keep it simple.
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, refrigeration