Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2023, 08:58   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur
Refrigeration kit recommendation

I will be replacing a broken norcold system for a 5 cu ft cooler. Any recommendation on refrigeration cooler kits for efficiency and reliability?
Old 02-08-2023, 15:28   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Refrigeration kit recommendation

Ozefridge.

Simple, reliable.
Old 02-08-2023, 15:48   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you can find the space for it, these are a no-brainer… I have three.
https://www.snomasterusa.com/product...fridgefreezer/

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 18:52   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

https://www.cruiserowaterandpower.co...erator-system/
Old 02-08-2023, 19:38   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

I find it humorous that they all claim to have far better efficiency than everyone else, yet they all have the same secop variable speed compressor.

There are differences in how the overall system is engineered, filters, dryers fancy boxes to mount the compressor in etc. But when it comes down to it, the major mechanical components are exactly the same. Efficiency is going to be more related to how well your box is insulated than differences between brands of conversion kits. Spend more on a fancy kit if you want the best support and warranty. Or buy a cheap kit and have the same compressor, evaporator, and reliability.

Also understand the difference between an eutectic plate and an evaporator. One isn't better than the other. The eutectic plate is used where you would be running an engine once per day to charge, make water, etc. You take advantage of that extra power to freeze the plate so you don't use power for cooling until the next engine run. If you run off of solar and don't run an engine once per day, the evaporator is the better choice.
Old 02-08-2023, 20:12   #6

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Don't overthink it.

I have an Adler Barbour Cold Machine that cost me 1.5K and has been running continuously for five years with one simple problem during that time, a failed thermostat that cost me a couple of dollars to replace.

You want a system that has parts readily available, that's easy to fix and that is simple to install yourself. The Cold Machine fits that bill.

In the end, you just want that beer to be cold when you reach into the fridge. In other words, just get a refrigerator that works. Opting for exotic, expensive, cheap or whatever just complicates the picture.

I have 320 watts of solar, and the 460 amp hour bank is usually close to full by mid day at the dock, depending on the time of year. So it's energy efficient.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 21:17   #7

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

It all comes down to the number of BTUs that must be removed from the box over a 24-hour period in order to keep the box temp in the range you desire.
It matters not whether you use the popular 12V compressor which has ~1/6 of a HP, or an engine drive of ~3HP driving big eutectic plates.
Systems using evaporators generally maintain a more constant temperature in the box than eutectic plates, but there is no free lunch.
The evaporator units have billions, (I exaggerate,) of off/on cycles per day and at each start cycle they draw some extra power over and above the running demand.
With eutectic plates you give up some temp stability but over a 24-hour period they do use less watt-hours of power.
Old 02-08-2023, 22:17   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Another vote for Ozefridge, and with the dollar the way is is good buying. Oh and I believe that they don't use a seacop comp.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 23:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Another vote for Ozefridge, and with the dollar the way is is good buying. Oh and I believe that they don't use a seacop comp.
According to their website they do. A larger one (BD-90 instead of BD-50) but still a secop.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
According to their website they do. A larger one (BD-90 instead of BD-50) but still a secop.
All I can find on their site is reference to a BE90 compressor, the seacop site has no reference to a compressor with that name or size. I will email them and ask.

Old 03-08-2023, 03:29   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We have used the same Ozifridge for almost 30 years. I like them.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 15:31   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Rich Borden and Charlie at cruise RO They sell under technautics brand I believe. Great service good equipment. Charlie even loaned me some probes (shipped them cross country) to help me get my system dialed in. They were great for me and are on the west coast. Can’t say enough good about them
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 15:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
All I can find on their site is reference to a BE90 compressor, the seacop site has no reference to a compressor with that name or size. I will email them and ask.
Looking again, I might have miss-read it. Still, it is highly unlikely they manufacture their own compressor.
Old 03-08-2023, 16:22   #14

Quote:
Looking again, I might have miss-read it. Still, it is highly unlikely they manufacture their own compressor.
Agreed, highly unlikely. I am absolutely sure that they do not use seacop compressors though.

Old 03-08-2023, 16:57   #15

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
I find it humorous that they all claim to have far better efficiency than everyone else, yet they all have the same secop variable speed compressor.

There are differences in how the overall system is engineered, filters, dryers fancy boxes to mount the compressor in etc. But when it comes down to it, the major mechanical components are exactly the same. Efficiency is going to be more related to how well your box is insulated than differences between brands of conversion kits. Spend more on a fancy kit if you want the best support and warranty. Or buy a cheap kit and have the same compressor, evaporator, and reliability.

Also understand the difference between an eutectic plate and an evaporator. One isn't better than the other. The eutectic plate is used where you would be running an engine once per day to charge, make water, etc. You take advantage of that extra power to freeze the plate so you don't use power for cooling until the next engine run. If you run off of solar and don't run an engine once per day, the evaporator is the better choice.

Everything correct here except maybe one detail. The box is totally key. Spot on.
Very little difference except for size of compressors. Secop makes 3 sizes I think. Yours would take a BD50 I think.
The 1 key thing would be if you are in the tropics a system with a keel cooler would help efficiency and simplify things a ton. Frigoboat and isotherm make them. No pumps or fans. They just dump the heat overboard. Water transfers heat faster and more efficiently with no fan or pump on the condenser.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, refrigeration