Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 15:49   #1

Refrigerator Insulation

My 2010 Jeanneau 42i has an air cooled compressor under the galley sink, that is directly adjacent to the refrigerator it's supposed to keep cool. Not sure who thought this was going to be a good idea, but looking for ways to improve the efficiency of the refer. Looking at lining the refer with this: Cryogel® – Pacor, Inc.

Does anyone have any experience with this or another product that might improve the performance of my refer?
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 07:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Refrigerator Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms95835 View Post
My 2010 Jeanneau 42i has an air cooled compressor under the galley sink, that is directly adjacent to the refrigerator it's supposed to keep cool. Not sure who thought this was going to be a good idea, but looking for ways to improve the efficiency of the refer. Looking at lining the refer with this: Cryogel® – Pacor, Inc.

Does anyone have any experience with this or another product that might improve the performance of my refer?

This stuff is great we use it to do our doors , expensive to do a whole box with it .

We get ours on ebay.

Aspen Aerogel SPACELOFTâ„¢ Insulation Hydrophobic Mat, Per Linear Foot, 6mm, .24" | eBay

And a video we made of using it .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 07:43   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

Venting the cabinet containing the compressor may help, something like a computer fan that kicks in every time the compressor does ?
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 07:53   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

+1 for Aerogel, Cryogel.
We did our box several years ago, also made a portable "freezer" for meat and ice cream by trading a pair of these out of our freezer compartment each day:

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ice-Tu...tic+ice+tundra

and a separate "refrigerator" for veggies using a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ice-Al...tic+ice+tundra

The refrigerator runs a lot more because we have more than doubled the effective size of our box but with plenty of solar, who cares?

My wife is an accomplished seamstress and made a couple of cryogel insulated zippered bags which live under the forward berth. They fit the space perfectly and were made to fit the largest size freezer brick/refrigerator brick.
Our freezer compartment JUST FITS one freezer and one refrigerator brick.
Each day we swap the pairs.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 08:12   #5

Yes, a little computer fan should extract the heat and could be wired right to the unit to shut on and off. Also, possible to put a vent in the cabinet wall right where the refrig fan blows?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 08:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

One thing to remember if you decide to add another fan . The Danfoss controllers are limited to .5 of an amp , so if you add a fan and connect it to the controller, the combine amperage must not exceed .5 of an amp . If it does, the controller will trigger an error and the compressor will not start .
To over come this you could use a relay and control the fans that way . You could also install a snap temperature switch on the top of the compressor like the one below and have it switch a fan on when it reaches certain temperature to remove warm air from the cabinet space .

10 Elmwood L165 192-1 Snap-Acting Disc NC Temperature Switches | eBay

You will have to find one that has the right "turn on" temperature.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, refrigerator