Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 19:30   #46

Anyone know if the USCG approved marine head system "lectra-sans" is an acceptible black water handler in the Bahamas? My 50 foot power boat has one that works that has been on board since 1977. I'm new to this forum and to cruising. My slip neighbor thinks regulations prohibit this system.
jobscabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 20:25   #47

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Does anyone have an idea how they are going to get holding tanks for all the fishes, octopuses, squids, and whales?

Maybe they could attach colostomy bags to the all the fish in the ocean, and then have them go to pump out stations to empty the bags.

And while the politicians are legistating, making rules, and figuring out how to make the world a better place, it would be an excellent idea to make the sea gulls wear bags as well.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 20:30   #48

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Maxingout

AMEN, and don't forget the horses, mice, eagles, kingfishers, otters, seals, sealions, salmon, etc,................

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 08:51   #49
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout
Does anyone have an idea how they are going to get holding tanks for all the fishes, octopuses, squids, and whales?

Maybe they could attach colostomy bags to the all the fish in the ocean, and then have them go to pump out stations to empty the bags.

And while the politicians are legistating, making rules, and figuring out how to make the world a better place, it would be an excellent idea to make the sea gulls wear bags as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
AMEN, and don't forget the horses, mice, eagles, kingfishers, otters, seals, sealions, salmon, etc,................
Those of us who work in the water, maintaining your boats, are pretty glad the marine sanitation rules apply to all boaters, not just the geniuses who think that pumping human waste into public waterways is a good idea.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 09:26   #50

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I havn't aquired one of these yet but I like the concept of no holding tank.
Air Head
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 22:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
Those of us who work in the water, maintaining your boats, are pretty glad the marine sanitation rules apply to all boaters, not just the geniuses who think that pumping human waste into public waterways is a good idea.
I don't see anything where either Maxingout nor I said anything about crapping in a marina, anchorage etc. Did I miss something?

Steve B.
Old 14-07-2007, 22:48   #52
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
I don't see anything where either Maxingout nor I said anything about crapping in a marina, anchorage etc. Did I miss something?
I never said anything about crapping in a marina either. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't pump your holding tank in a marina where people might be trying to earn a living in the water. That being said, maybe you'll answer me this:

Boat #1 is anchored out over a bed of mussels for a day or two. Boat #1 pumps their waste overboard.
Boat #2 is also anchored out on a mussel bed for a day or two, but Boat #2 does not pump waste overboard.
You must now make a meal of mussels from one of these two beds. Which do you choose?
Old 15-07-2007, 04:21   #53

Getting back to the topic, does anyone know if EVERY head on a boat must be connected to a holding tank? (In Qld, Aus) Or is it acceptable as long as at least one head on board is plumbed to a tank? I have tried to find out, but it seems to be a grey area.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 21:53   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
I never said anything about crapping in a marina either. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't pump your holding tank in a marina where people might be trying to earn a living in the water. That being said, maybe you'll answer me this:

Boat #1 is anchored out over a bed of mussels for a day or two. Boat #1 pumps their waste overboard.
Boat #2 is also anchored out on a mussel bed for a day or two, but Boat #2 does not pump waste overboard.
You must now make a meal of mussels from one of these two beds. Which do you choose?
I thought the question was more like whether or not to dump the tank while sailing at 6 knots+ in deep water with current...I don't think any whales, fish, or birds "anchor for a day or two" in one spot.

I guess I missed the original point. Sorry.

Steve B.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:37   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Gravesend Bay (Bensonhurst) ~ marine waste-transfer station protest:

Boaters in Brooklyn, New York, have organised a flotilla protest for this Saturday over the placement of a waste station near local cruising grounds. They claim the waste station could ruin recreational boating in nearby bays.

The community sees the fight over the waste transfer station as a continuation of a previous fight over the Southwest Brooklyn Incinerator on the same site. That facility, after years of agitation, was finally removed in 2002.

To construct the marine transfer station, the waters of Gravesend Bay would have to be dredged to allow access to bigger barges. This might dislodge lead, PCBs, mercury, toxic ash and other contaminants buried in the bay's sediments; which could ruin recreational boating, fishing and crabbing in the bay.

The proposed facility would handle about 950 tonnes of waste per day. All waste processing would be inside an enclosed building, and there would be "negative air pressure" to make sure unpleasant odours would not escape.

See also:

Waste station is ‘trashed’ ~ by Gary Buiso
Courier-Life Publications - Waste station is ‘trashed’

MARINA’S WASTE STATION WOE ~ by Andrew Hawkins
New York City News Service - CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 15:54   #56

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Several years ago I corresponded with Peggie Hall on another cruisers forum and got some pretty good advice which I followed. I built a custom holding tank of plywood, epoxy sealed and filleted on the interior to a glass smooth surface, epoxied and rounded on the outside, then LP'ed for cosmetics, making the whole assemblage look like plastic. I included an inspection plate for the zealous customs officer who might wish to grope around inside, placed a 1 1/2" throughhull in the top for "input", two more 1 1/2" thruhulls for vent hoses, run horizontally to opposite sides of the bow hullsides, and another at the bottom for "extraction". It was designed this way to use aerobic bacteria, Peggie Hall represents K.O. products. The aerobic system has worked well for me for many years now. I have been told by others that mine is the only holding tank on the dock that doesn't stink.

The other part of the system relies on the tank being above water level, and the thruhull exits at the waterline. The waste line exits the tank, and proceeds to a tee, connected immediatly upstream of the PVC ball valve prior to discharge thru the side. The tee is connected to a deck pumpout hose that runs a short distance forward to the deck fitting.

We subscribe to a service that pumps out the holding tank every two weeks, as required by our yacht club as a condition of being a liveaboard. If we go offshore, we simply open the ball valve and the tank contents drain by gravity overboard - no macerators, no pumps. If you are in a wild and ungoverned locale, you simply pump the LAVAC head directly into the holding tank, which being unrestrained by the ball valve, conveniently discharges overboard, the lapping of the water cleansing any waste that might have remained in the thruhull or on the hullside. It helps to remind oneself of how much and how often a sealion poops to feel relieved about one's own contributions to the environment.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 20:15   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M
It helps to remind oneself of how much and how often a sealion poops to feel relieved about one's own contributions to the environment.
Whatever gets you through the night, chief. I guess rationalization works for you. We'll just have to take your word that you only pump overboard beyond the 3-mile limit.
Old 19-08-2007, 02:47   #58

In addition to the Airhead there is another composting toilet called Nature's Head. First Mate’s Cabin - Boat Yacht Sailboat Marine Equipment, Refrigeration Watermakers Sanitation Galley, Shop Online

At $850 + shipping, it seems a good deal to me, even in the UK. Also, if it is acceptable to sit on the aft rail for relief, I would construct a throne with back and arm rests, with a detergent dispenser handy, together with the transom shower spray adjacent. Bog and bidet in one! Hygenic and happy, what more could you want?

Not suitable for those of a sensitive nature, nor anywhere other than out of sight of land.

Pericles
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank