Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 02:55   #1

Rejuvenating the taste in watermaker water

Hi all,

Does anyone get that "empty" taste from water made from reverse osmosis? I am wondering if there is a mineral replacement system I can put in before the tap and after the water tank to replace this. I obviously don't need it for the showers etc.

Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts. It incidentally occured to me that there is billions of miles of experience on this site!
Mischief1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 05:05   #2

Boat: Southcoast 36
Re: Rejuvenating the taste in watermaker water

We love our water maker water taste. Better to drink on its own. Better tea, better coffee.

Back on shore, town water mostly tastes like crud to us until we get accustomed again.

What sort of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) numbers are you getting? Typical for us is 300-500.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 05:25   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Maybe your looking for a Ph neutralizer?
Something to normalize the water to something from a well with some mineral content?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 05:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

My reverse osmosis water has far fewer dissolved minerals (by test) than does our city water. It's "blank." There is nothing in it that would activate a taste cell on your tongue or olfactory cell in your nose. That means it makes really good ice cubes for single-malt scotch. It you don't like the lack of taste, add a tiny amount of salt, such that you can't "taste salt" but the water tastes "fuller." Morton's Lite Salt is half sodium chloride half calcium chloride, so a pinch of it will protect you from hyponatremia on hot days. Or, go farther and squirt in a flavor. Make your own cheap version of the flavored water that costs more than gasoline at your local supermarket.
Old 17-03-2021, 08:01   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 354

I don't have a water maker yet, but my boat owners manual recommends putting a bit of baking soda in the tanks to sweeten the taste a bit.
Old 17-03-2021, 08:09   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Try Burton Salts from a homebrewing store. Adds minerals found in the water of Burton On Trent, famous beer brewing center in England. Salts are sold in packets sized for 5 gallon containers.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Try Burton Salts from a homebrewing store. Adds minerals found in the water of Burton On Trent, famous beer brewing center in England. Salts are sold in packets sized for 5 gallon containers.
Plus one to that - I was just about to say the same thing
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:50   #8

Boat: Moody 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Pillroller

Tkeithlu has it slightly wrong. Hyponatremia is lack of Sodium salt as salt. You need the full strength stuff, to counter lack of sodium, after seating profusely. Hyper is too much Hypo is lacking.
Old 17-03-2021, 11:06   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42

I bring a bottle of lime juice and add a few drops. I don’t think it adds back all the minerals but gives the water a taste. For minerals there is always beer!
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 20:11   #10

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

I have not had problems with my boat RO units but my home one (low pressure) came with a filter cartrige that had six "things" in it that added minerals and taste. It is made to replace once a year.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 02:54   #11

Thankyou for all your comments. I knew this was the place to ask.

The additon of burton salts is an intriguing angle and I like the idea of the boat having water perfect for making beer.

Ideally I would invent a way to add the salt only to water coming from the galley tap (drinking water). I wonder how I could create a system whereby the salts are released in accordance to flow, not just dumping the required amount in the tank beforehand. This also means I could use another tap for making pure cubes for the single malts!
Old 18-03-2021, 03:25   #12
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Get one of these for your drinking water

https://aquamountain.com.au/product/...r-filter-copy/

I use one at home and the boat for my Reverse Osmosis water - The water is so poor where I am I have to RO it at home as well
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 05:06   #13

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

We have R.O. water at home and felt as you do that the water lacked something. While it's great to take out poisons from various sources, it does strip out the minerals. After some searching, I found these and have been very happy with them. Hope this helps. It shows currently unavailable. I would try to call the company. If I remember correctly, they are located in GA or SC and are nice folks. I had a problem with one and they sent me a new one free of charge.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 02:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
We have R.O. water at home and felt as you do that the water lacked something. While it's great to take out poisons from various sources, it does strip out the minerals. After some searching, I found these and have been very happy with them. Hope this helps. It shows currently unavailable. I would try to call the company. If I remember correctly, they are located in GA or SC and are nice folks. I had a problem with one and they sent me a new one free of charge.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi mjgill, this is exactly the sort of unit I was hoping for. I cannot find the one you are reffering to but I found this one https://store.sterner.co.uk/products...oaAhx3EALw_wcB

Hopefully it does the same job. Thanks for you info
Old 19-03-2021, 05:11   #15

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief1945 View Post
Hi mjgill, this is exactly the sort of unit I was hoping for. I cannot find the one you are reffering to but I found this one https://store.sterner.co.uk/products...oaAhx3EALw_wcB

Hopefully it does the same job. Thanks for you info
You are welcome. That's what this place is supposed to be about. Helping others. I found the outfit where I got the filters the first time. I can't seem to find them on their site. I sent them an email to see if they still carry them. I really like them and hope they do. Anyway, here's the link.
https://www.123filter.com/ac/
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker