Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2023, 12:55   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Removing Ice Box to Install Holding Tank

Margarita is a 1969 CAL 34. She currently has a porta potty. Never had a holding tank, only in and out. I do not use my ice box, I have installed a fridge where the stove once was. I am a day sailor and weekender. Cruising is about 4 years and a new boat away. I realize that I will have to cut a door in the front of the galley to install the tank. The attached pic shows the ice box location (yellow arrow) and the head (red arrow). I have never gutted an ice box before. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holding tank.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	278332  
Bayou Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 13:38   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Removing Ice Box to Install Holding Tank

Is that the only option? I would think the galley is a really poor choice for a holding tank location. If there truly is no other choice of location, I would consider a composting head. Are you going to sell this boat? ("Cruising is about 4 years and a new boat away.") I would certainly not want to buy a boat that has had a nice icebox removed and replaced with a holding tank.

That said, I have removed the icebox on my boat. (to build and replace with a freezer) Start by removing all the teak trim, and then ripping off the formica to expose the plywood top. If you are lucky, that will expose screws to remove the top. If not, cut around the edges with a circular saw. With the top off, you will need a reciprocating saw with a carbide blade to cut out the icebox liner and remove it piece by piece. Then pry and scrape out any foam insulation.

You can probably do it in a day or two. But it will make a huge mess of fiberglass and foam dust, so be prepared to contain that, wear appropriate safety gear, etc.

It's much harder to then refinish the cabinet to look good then cutting it up.
Old 18-07-2023, 14:32   #3

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Removing Ice Box to Install Holding Tank

I apologize if this sounds naive, but is there any available space towards the front or back of the galley?
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank