Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2024, 08:19   #1

Replace Freshwater Lines

We have a smaller sailboat (27') with very simple plumbing. Freshwater tank with a line that leads to the galley sink with a foot pump. That is it. Nothing has been used for years. Water tank was gross but we were able to reach in and clean that and treat it with bleach water overnight. Now, replacing the water lines (old flexible pvc type). They looked pretty gross too. Easy to access everything.

We're on Lake Superior (cooler environment). Is it adequate to replace the water lines with the reinforced FDA approved plastic or should I be looking at something like the Whale Quick Connect system? Cost is probably somewhat similar by the time I buy the quick connect connectors I need.

Recommendations?
Timccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 08:38   #2

Re: Replace Freshwater Lines

I have a bigger boat with a more intricate system, but the quick connect style systems are amazing.

Never had a leak. Quick on/off. Easy to put additional things if wanted.
Ixium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 08:44   #3

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Poly piping is a common installation these days, several connection options. I see the external stainless steel crimp bands and the black coated copper rings frequently. The copper require a larger tool. The stainless is about the size of a large pliers.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 09:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixium View Post
I have a bigger boat with a more intricate system, but the quick connect style systems are amazing.

Never had a leak. Quick on/off. Easy to put additional things if wanted.
How flexible is the quick connect hose? My foot pump which is working great unfortunately was selected poorly by the original owner. The intake is on the opposite side of the pump from where the hose comes from the water tank. I'm wondering if I actually need to 4 elbows to go up, around back down and into the water foot pump intake. or maybe I can get away with loop up and around. Make sense?
Old 26-06-2024, 12:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FDA compounded PVC Hose [polyvinylchloride] hose, such as Trident #162 Reinforced or Trident #150 Clear, was the standard small boat potable water hose.
PEX Piping [AKA: cross-linked polyethylene] has become a very common upgrade; but is much less flexible than hose, and has a memory.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 13:09   #6

It seems that with such a simple setup that replacing with reinforcement pvc tubing may be just fine? I read that there are greater concern with algae growth etc vs the newer pex. Talking about 15’ total run including up to the faucet
Old 26-06-2024, 13:18   #7

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

I would not argue against that. Upside is you will be able to see if something starts to grow inside and address it.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 13:57   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FDA compounded PVC Hose [polyvinylchloride] hose, such as Trident #162 Reinforced or Trident #150 Clear, was the standard small boat potable water hose.
PEX Piping [AKA: cross-linked polyethylene] has become a very common upgrade; but is much less flexible than hose, and has a memory.
Even if a boat is plumbed with PEX I always recommend sections of #162 or #150 for the inlet/outlet of the pumps.
An "S" bend or a circle will allow the pump to vibrate freely on their rubber pads and eliminates any strain against the pump fittings.
Also makes pump replacement much easier and more forgiving.

Tags
water