Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 10:29   #31

Spartan Sea Cocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansandmts View Post
Let me start some controversy. Good quality (I have had good experience with Spartan) bronze, unbonded, seacocks should last practically forever with periodic maintenance, unless you are in a really hot marina.

Really surprised that as far as I can tell no one has mentioned lapping them after cleaning them up, as this is how to true the mating surfaces so they don't leak.

IMHO Spartan, Perko, etc traditional tapered seacocks are much better than any ball valve (usually chrome-plated brass or stainless ball, neither of which can be trusted in salt water) or practically anything else available today, with the possible exception of Marelon, which has its own problems if not maintained.
I saw a thread that you had some spartan seacocks for sale. Is that still the case? What size? Where in northern Vermont are you?
John
John Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 11:33   #32
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
is it advisable to use salt water or teflon grease on modern groco sea cocks by dabbing said grease on the ball while it is closed?