Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 19:48   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Replacing 25 year old sanitation hoses

Despite a concerted effort on my part over the past 11 months involving repeated calls to the boatyard, it has become clear that this isn't going to be the year that the yard is going to replace the sanitation hoses on my boat. I have offered money and gin but apparently not in sufficient amounts to get them started, even though I've reached the top of "the list" more than once.

The hoses are original to the boat, 25 years old, and odoriferous even in cool weather, well beyond the point where something has to be done.

I have spent 3/4 of a boat buck on 38' of Raritan sani-flex hose, together with 10' of 5/8" vent line, three boxes of the good clamps, an activated charcoal respirator, and a tube of K-Y jelly.

The tank is under the port laz. I've already pulled the air conditioner out of the laz. I stlll have to pull the water heater out of the laz (no longer difficult since I installed quick connect plumbing and electrical connections, and easily removable fasteners, last time). Then I have to pull the sole out of the laz, which may have to be cut apart to come out. The holding tank is under the laz.

Then the job everyone wants to hire someone else for. I'm bringing a heat gun, a right-angle pick, a hacksaw, slip-joint pliers, and a utility knife with a box of new blades to get everything apart. I have a compact impact driver with sockets to fit the hose clamps. And lights and a fan since this is all taking place inside the laz.

Wish me luck.
Old Today, 20:18   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Replacing 25 year old sanitation hoses

OH, yes, yes, yes! I wish you a very smooth going project, for sure. You might also take some lanolin to lubricate and moisture proof the screws for the hose clamps.

And maybe, even cautiously congratulate yourself. You may not have to do it AGAIN, for a looong time.

Ann
Old Today, 21:10   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Replacing 25 year old sanitation hoses

Gloves!
Don’t forget the gloves!
You may be the one in a hundred that can do this without getting stuff on your hands but why take the chance?
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote