Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 11:59   #1

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E
Replacing accumulator tank - fresh water system

It appears my existing Jabsco 2 gal accumulator tank has failed. It's probably the original (1997?) installed in Europe (Bavaria 46E).

Symptoms are water pressure at faucet with wide open starts at OK pressure, then flow quickly drops and then pump starts, pressure/flow increases, then drops, cycle continues.

When I attempted to add air pressure to the tank, it quickly hissed back out the valve along with water and won't hold pressure. Appears the bladder has ruptured.

The existing pump is not variable speed (and I have a spare of the same model).
Pump is Jabsco 31620-0292
Cut in 10 psi
Cut out 25 psi

Tanks is 2 gal model, unknown model number (something like 23005-1983), but it appears to be the same as the Jabsco 23240-2000. On Amazon I found a Jabsco 18810-0000 which seems to be similar.

We're currently in Puerto Vallarta, MX, and options for getting another tank are limited to shipping from the US (from what I've found so far), with about a 10 day lead time. We're hoping to leave the dock for awhile and we don't want to wait.

Several questions:

1. Can we run the system as is for awhile? Any issues with the bladder being ruptured? We'll have to deal with the annoyance of the uneven flow.

2. I could bypass the tank, which would mean the pump would cycle and run whenever we use water. I understand that would add some cycling to the pump and create some pressure shocking to the system (?) with the abrupt on/off of the pump?

3. Will either of those 2 models of tanks work as a replacement? I could order a tank and wait for it, or possibly have it shipped somewhere I could pick it up along the way.

Thoughts?
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water