Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2015, 04:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
replacing frigoboat compressor

Hi all,

Our BD3 comprssor is dead, she has bled oil underneath and will hum but not run.

The system is a Keel Cooled Frigoboat. Does anyone know of a reason a non-frigoboat compressor cannot be used (with new control module) keeping the keel cooler? I assume the BD50 is replacement, but I wonder if I could use a BD80, as the system has two boxes, three holding plates (two freeze in one box, one refer in the other).

We are not currently using the freezer, but I Richard K. here told me that it was undersized in it's current configuration.

Also, there is a receiver and drier, I can swap out a new drier and keep the receiver?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 05:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: replacing frigoboat compressor

My first thought is that the connectors will not be the same. Last time I researched systems it seemed that there were several different types of connectors in use and few if any were interchangeable.

However, if you keep the rest of the old components you know that you will have to test, vacuum and flush out the system no matter what brand of compressor you buy.

Why switch to another brand compressor anyway? Frigoboat uses the same Danfoss as just about everyone else? Also, before installing a new compressor I would check out the keel cooler. There have been numerous threads on CF about problems with older Frigoboats from the keel cooler. If it corrodes through and sale water gets into the system it will destroy the compressor and possibly more. Do you know why the compressor failed? Are you sure the keel cooler is good?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 05:16   #3

You could do anything with solder and pipe, including using your old parts. The bd50 will be too small for 3 boxes. It will run constantly. The BD80 is a better choice, however I am not sure how the keel cooler is sized? Was it sized for a large compressor, or a tiny one? The fittings will be fine, if you solder them on the new hoses. Be sure to do a complete vacuum of the system, some freon is flamable, and use 134A for the new compressor. Make sure to get all of the old oil out as well, 134A is not to be used with R12 or R22 oil.

http://www.rparts.com/index.php?cPath=84_13_1_2
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

If your compressor is a BD3 it would be over 15 years old. Frigoboat keel cooler system compressors run much hotter than air cooled systems causing their liquid line connector O rings to eventuly leak. When BD2.5 and BD3 compressors hum with no cooling it normally means compressor is running without refrigerant preventing a high and low side pressure difference. This compressor contains approximately 12 ounces of oil. One ounce of oil will make it seam like a major problem. If refrigerant loss has happened replace leaking line connector O ring and add refrigerant.

A compressor and its supporting system components must all be sized to match maximum hourly box’s heat load for each box and at the same time maintain desired box temperatures. The only time where I found I answered your questions before was with an Adler Barbour system. If these are three holding plates with very much eutectic solution inside then even a BD80 might not be a smart move. A typical solution for separate refrigerator freezer on a 40 ft boat is a BD50 powered system in each box. If present BD35 system has proven to be adequate capacity for refrigerator box then the solution might be to add a BD50 system to freezer two plates.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 19:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

All,

Thanks for the help. We decided to replace the original, 1978 built-in front loading fridge with an off the shelf unit from Vitrifrigo. It is the 130l Sea Classic model with external compressor.

Now I just need to cut out the existing box. The nice thing is that the existing box is behind a wooden face with a cut-out, and I just need to make the cutout a bit bigger, mount the compressor, run the electrical wire, and screw the sucker in. We should be able to augment the insulation as well, a plus.

In the future, I might want to re-do the Frigoboat system to power only the freezer. By doing this we remove a ton of complexity, add some redundancy, and I am sure will end up with a better system.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor