Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2023, 10:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 39
Replacing LP Gas rubber line

I’m a new owner of a 2007 Beneteau Cyclades 39. The survey produced a long list of items to be addressed for insurance. One item was to replace the LPG rubber line since it was over 6 years old. I bought a 25 foot Trident Marine 1014 LPG Propane Gas Supply Line Hose, a new gas regulator and new solenoid. The new supply line comes with 3/8" female swivel flare on each end.

I loosened the pvc bulkhead joints and attached the old supply line to the new with a male to male connection so I could pull the new line through as the old line came out in the galley. It was going well until the brass fittings on the end of the supply line reached the pvc conduit that goes from the space behind the aft cabin to the base of the galley stove. The fittings are too large to go through the pvc conduit.

I’m all but certain this pvc conduit was installed at the factory. I also doubt the last supply line had the end fittings attached in the field. So how do you get the new supply line with brass ends through the pvc conduit? I'm planning to reattach the original supply line and test all my connections with soap bubbles for leaks until I can figure out how to replace the line.
tschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:28   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Replacing LP Gas rubber line

I had the same issue when I installed mine in a 1" pvc conduit.
The fittings were a tiny amount larger than the ID, and only on the "square" angles that accept a wrench on the female end. I filed these slightly, the minimum to get clearence and I was able to push it thru.
How much larger are yours? Depending on the ID of your conduit, you may have to eliminate it and ensure you can support the line without it.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:42   #3

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 39

Whoa, I think you solved my problem. It looks to be 1 inch pvc. I have a grinder on the boat, that definitely seems like a solution to me. I may not be down to Tortola until late January but I will give it a try and report back with the results. Thanks.
tschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:27   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschramm View Post
Whoa, I think you solved my problem. It looks to be 1 inch pvc. I have a grinder on the boat, that definitely seems like a solution to me. I may not be down to Tortola until late January but I will give it a try and report back with the results. Thanks.
You won't need a grinder, use a file on the soft brass. But be careful if you do, one tiny wrong move and the whole line is compromised.
BTW, I didn't have any problems tightening it, even with an almost round fitting.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote