Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 09:36   #1

Replacing old groco elec head

Ive read a bunch of comments here on electric head options. There are many ways to skin this cat.
In my new to me vessel I have a tecma in the guest head that works fine although the seat leaves something to be desired.
My groco in the master head is something weird. it has a mechanical pump on the outside that just looks as though someone electrified a mechanical foot pedal. This unit is up on a pedestal and I would need to get a standard size.

So I am looking for a new head that will be macerator like my tecma (no current vac system onboard) and household size (elongated). Quiter the better as it is adjacent to the foot of the master bed. I see the raritan marine elegance discussed here a bunch. Wanted other options to look at as I need to see what will fit in the space I have as well as other peoples experience can help. Anyone used Dometic masterflush? Newer tecma units? I have virtually no room below the floor other than what is there so the in base macerators are a necessity (head sits adjacent to bow thruster under the floor).

Thanks in advance. Last boat just had some PHII's that I put fresh head mods on to use fresh water so I am a bit of a newbie here so be gentle!

Captk
kps0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Replacing old groco elec head

My groco in the master head is something weird. it has a mechanical pump on the outside that just looks as though someone electrified a mechanical foot pedal. This unit is up on a pedestal and I would need to get a standard size.

It's not weird...It's either an EB (discontinued) or a Model K--both of which are $1000+ (the Model K currently has a $1700 list price without the motor) all bronze manual toilets with an electric motor that replaces the pump HANDLE (not the foot pedal) added. turning into a Model KE. Raritan also offers an electric motor for the PHII.

The Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf is the top-rated macerating electric toilet and is available in both "standard" (to sit on a platform) and "tall" (to sit on a level floor) versions. It's an all china "throne"...all the "works" are in the pedestal...exceptionally quiet, has a macerator that can even chew up a tampon (not recommended, though!) and a pump at least as powerful as the Tecma. The Dometic MasterFlush doesn't even begin to compare! This online retailer has it for $750 INCLUDING the optional Smart Flush panel Boatersland Marine Elegance

If you need a truly elongated bowl, the Raritan Atlantes Freedom has a bowl that's 19" front-back. Raritan Atlantes Freedom promo sheet Same innards as the Marine Elegance, and not that much more expensive at the same retailer Boatersland Raritan Atlantes Freedom When it comes to choosing, the real question is whether the Atlantes will fit your space.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:38   #3

Re: Replacing old groco elec head

Thanks (as always) Peggie,

Just thought the rotating mechanical pump on the side was a bit of a Frankenstein thing. Dont think its a K type as this thing 20+ years old. Anyway, I will look at the dimensions for both. Although the bathroom is small, the current head has room behind it.

I will do some measuring and find out for sure.
Putting URL in for picture. Never done this before hope it works.

[URL="https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/55942324e4b07880577027e8/1436216898756-7GV5208UJ0UW0XT9VSBF/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kIzNWfZh9v0nvEHU3WAJ1tF7gQa3H7 8H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLf rh8O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0ooWhOa5cxQSJsU3rXf8luX Ap4RuSF8fCIvAJcvjt_IcZoixb7Wm7IaIkEuLM8C6Ew/master+head+is+a+Groco+freshwater+electric+with+ma nual+pump+lever+for+backup.JPG?format=1500w"]
kps0927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head