Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 11:44   #1

Boat: Taswell 43
Replacing potable water system hoses

Our 6-month liveaboard monohull sailboat has 4 separate water tanks that selectively feed a single manifold, that connects to a single water pump plus whole house filter and accumulator. The system then feeds a hot water heater, 2 heads, each with a fresh-water toilet+sink+shower, plus a transom shower, and a galley sink. The 1/2" reinforced pvc hoses have never been replaced, and I'm guessing it's about time? Somewhere I read they should be replaced every 10 years.....so far ours are going on 32 years! What do you recommend to replace those hoses-reinforced pvc hoses, PEX tubing, or?? And I'm guessing all new elbows/T's/fittings should be used too? And why do you recommend the hose you do?
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Replacing potable water system hoses

We replumb a lot of boats, always with Uponor AquaPex and expansion fittings. Lifetime upgrade
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:34   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

PEX

Lasts for the life of the boat and will not leach chemicals into the water. Won't leak unless the fittings break.
Old 29-10-2021, 20:08   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Our 6-month liveaboard monohull sailboat has 4 separate water tanks that selectively feed a single manifold, that connects to a single water pump plus whole house filter and accumulator. The system then feeds a hot water heater, 2 heads, each with a fresh-water toilet+sink+shower, plus a transom shower, and a galley sink. The 1/2" reinforced pvc hoses have never been replaced, and I'm guessing it's about time? Somewhere I read they should be replaced every 10 years.....so far ours are going on 32 years! What do you recommend to replace those hoses-reinforced pvc hoses, PEX tubing, or?? And I'm guessing all new elbows/T's/fittings should be used too? And why do you recommend the hose you do?
We have a very similar system (tanks manifold, pump etc) but a couple of fewer showers.

I'm guessing you are thinking about changing because the water stinks sometimes. Maybe not. Maybe because it looks bad?

For those reasons we changed all of our freshwater system. New hose, Tee's, hose clamps, everything. We used reinforced hose with white inside lining. Two boxes of hose, a bunch of hose clamps, and several other pieces. Fairly big job. It looks nice but it still stinks, at least the parts which are not used very often, like the remote showers.

We found that the solution is to use the system often. If you leave your boat for 6 months, you'll have problems. Then, you need to kill the organisims, maybe with bleach, then keepwater flowing.

More expensive plumbing system won't change the basic facts. All it does is make a bigger project and keep you from going sailing a little longer. If that is what you want, go for it.
Old 30-10-2021, 09:27   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

I have replaced these lines on 2 boats. Used PEX with Watts quick connect fittings. Used Watts "stacking valves" for the tank manifold. Got the best pricing/availability at blueriverfarmsupply.com.

These quick connect fittings can be disconnected for winterization purposes.
They are approved by NSA and are used in almost all new homes. The flexible tubing is perfect for boat applications.

Steve
taylormobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 09:33   #6

uhhhh ........something that lasts 32 years like what you have maybe? Everyone is hot on Pex. After doing some in my home, I can't fathom why. PVC tubing and a clamp is dead simple and can be fixed anywhere in the world with little expense and are readily available...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:52   #7

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Pex with shark bites fittings because there easy to install and reliable. We swapped all fresh water supply service to pex, even the thru deck to holding tank and the tank vent.

Hose is soft/flexable and because of that permeable, bacteria gets in it and never leaves, in the case of waste hose (tank to thru hull) that should be swapped out every couple of years depending on the frequency of use. Bleach degrades the lining on the black hose so if you use bleach in your water tanks. Filter it out to stretch the longevity of that tank to thru hull black hose.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 11:14   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Our 1985 Catalina 30 still had its OEM water hoses. Stiff, Black, Yucky. Originally started to replace with new hoses. Eventually new hose got terribly expensive, so we tried PEX-B. I am so glad we did, cheaper and finally stopped all the leaks. We used the crimp connectors. Push-to-connect (Sharkbite is a brand name) fittings are way more expensive, but can be reused. In tight places we built sub-assemblies to make it easier. Especially on the water heaters, use swivel elbows so you can remove the fitting from the tank if needed. We added a shore water inlet as well, and added fittings to allow us to fill the freshwater tanks from it instead of using the deck fills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX Water Distribution 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	247585  
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 10:07   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
After 32 years they probably need to be replaced but I would first checkout the water to see how urgent the problem is. Run the water for a bit and they fill a clear glass and hold it up to the light to see how it looks, then do a taste test. Other more scientific options include getting one of those water testing kits or take a sample to a lab for testing.

That brings up the point of the source of the water in the tank. Do you always fill from a certified clean city water system (thoughts of Saginaw and Benton Harbor, Michigan with known lead poisoning come to mind) known to be good or some questionable source in the middle of a foreign nowhere.

When was the last time the tanks were cleaned? Another thought is how wasteful may it be to replace all your hoses without taking any action to clean the fresh water tanks themselves which can be a challenge all its own if the tanks don't have access ports.

So, don't just jump to a conclusion based upon some obscure renewal notice published in a magazine without thinking of the entire system involvement.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 13:51   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

Thanks MJH...we fill our tanks via our onboard watermaker, except for the 1-2 times per season we're in a marina....and then we run the marina water thru a filter before it goes into the tanks. We have tried to clean our tanks, but with multiple baffles installed and only a single access port-it's hard to do. But the tanks seem clean, no scum or slime on the sidewalls, and a very, very minimum of rust spots visible on the s/s tank welds (that we can see). Our water has no oder, and tastes OK, but the whole house filter routinely plugs up and turns red after 4-5 weeks use. Obviously there must be a rust source somewhere. And, in my research I've come across some "recommendations" that the potable water hoses "should" be changed every 10 years or so(??). Our hoses are stiff, opaque, and original (after 32 years, I guess that's allowed!), and I'm trying to be pro-active.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water