Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 05:58   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Rotten egg smell downstream of filter

Unless you're really good about maintaining a chlorine residual in the water tank, make sure you don't use a paper / cellulose water filer. Use a synthetic material if it's not a carbon filter. Paper filters will breed bacteria over time (as can granular carbon with no chlorine input, but carbon blocks usually don't).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 10:21   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Anyone use a filter when filling the water tank?

I bought an in-line filter which connects to the filler hose. They sell them for RV's. I bought it after we were forced to tank up at a location with foul-tasting water, but I've never been back there and never been anywhere else I felt it was necessary.

But it seems like it might help the OP, if the problem is funky water coming in.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 10:31   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Anyone use a filter when filling the water tank?

I bought an in-line filter which connects to the filler hose. They sell them for RV's. I bought it after we were forced to tank up at a location with foul-tasting water, but I've never been back there and never been anywhere else I felt it was necessary.

But it seems like it might help the OP, if the problem is funky water coming in.
I do fill my tank through a filter, mostly to keep sediment out of the tank. The filter I use does strip at least some of the chlorine out of the water, so I add some back to the tank when filling. I have both sediment and carbon filters in the water system, so any excess chlorine gets stripped back out before the water reaches the taps.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 16:37   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

As long as your freshwater tanks have an air vent exposed to the elements filtering helps ever so little. I'm not a fan of filtering the incoming water with a charcoal filter. The residual chlorine you are trying to take out helps protect your water. Place a charcoal filter at the point of use of consumable water if it is a taste thing. Does it make sense to remove the only thing protecting your water and tanks? Of course, of it is a tank metallurgy thing that's certainly is a different colored horse.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 18:15   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'm not a fan of filtering the incoming water with a charcoal filter. The residual chlorine you are trying to take out helps protect your water. Place a charcoal filter at the point of use of consumable water if it is a taste thing.
Makes sense. And @rslifkin also pointed out that if you filter out the chlorine, you might want to add some back. I hadn't thought of that.

I did add a filtered water tap at the galley sink. I drink the boat's potable water directly, but so many people have been on boats with "funky" water that they won't drink it. I try to convince them that my filtered tap water is just as good as the filtered tap water they buy in plastic bottles. With limited success, unfortunately.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:14   #21

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Copper plumbing is also useful after the tanks
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot