Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 03:06   #1

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52
SailVac VHT 5200 - still in production?

Dear All,
I have a Vacuflush SailVac 5200. I am finding it hard to get info on parts for this (I haven't found what I want on the Dometic website, but I have found "legacy" documentation). Several suppliers I have tried here in Europe seem not to stock any of the parts I need (just those which fit pumps also fitted to other VacuFlush systems).
I have seen references in discussion groups concerning Jeanneau/Beneteau vessels about these systems - and indeed references to some "ball-cock" modifications made by the boat manufacturer to address some issue which I cannot identify.
Therefore: A: can any forum member confirm whether this system is still being made by Dometic? (and if it is, is it just for the French giant?);
B) what is the issue which led to the modification, has it been successful and, if so, how can those of us with other boats copy the mod?
Thanks to all!
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 06:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: SailVac VHT 5200 - still in production?

Dometic discontinued production of the Sailvac several years ago. It was not made only for any specific boat mfr and was also available in the US. The phone numbers for Dometic in Ohio USA are 800-321-9886 330-439-5550 Email: sealand@dometic.com Google "sealand sailvac systems owners manual" to find the owners manual on any of a number of US Dometic distributor sites. You can also find any parts for it that may still be available from any of those distributors.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 07:23   #3

Dear Queen of the Unmentionables,
Thanks for your reply. I am shocked to hear SailVac was discontinued way back. I only bought mine two and a bit years ago (in Europe).
Do you know why it was discontinued?
What about the "ball-cock" mod - any knowledge?
I only have your previous book on marine lavatories and "odors" - can you give us some idea of what's different in the new one?
And so much for your retirement?
Thank you again - not just for your reply to this query but for all the advice you have given so many of us.
Keith
Old 15-03-2018, 15:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Hi Keith....The Sailvac may have been discontinued only in the US. I have no idea what the "ballcock" mode is...I haven't followed it because I've never been a fan of combining the vacuum tank with a holding tank because it requires that the holding tank be anaerobic. If you have my first book, you know that odor can only be generated in anaerobic conditions. There's no actual tank vent through which the tank can "breathe"...gasses generated as waste breaks down can only escape via the "pressure relief" valve, which requires a charcoal filter in it's line to the thru-hull.

Those are my personal feelings about the Sailvac...you obviously like it. Whatever floats your boat for you is ok with me.

As for what's been added to my new book, it's been completely updated and expanded. You can see what's new if you click on the link in signature and then see the table of contents.

Regards,
Peggie
Old 15-03-2018, 15:36   #5

Interesting!
Let me challenge your point about a vacuum making the tank "anaerobic"! Yes, there will be fewer air (and therefore fewer oxygen) molecules in the tank when it is under a vacuum, but every time the lavatory is flushed, a new intake of normal air is brought into the tank and then the air pump removes some of the conjoined old and new air out, re-establishing the vacuum.
So when the lavatory is used regularly, new oxygen is regularly introduced into the chamber.
So - what do you think? That the vacuum really does makes the system anaerobic, or maybe just some amount less "aerobic" than a tank at atmospheric pressure?
Keith
Old 15-03-2018, 17:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

If your theory worked, it wouldn't be necessary to run holding tank aerators 24/7/365. You're also neglecting to take into consideration the days in which the toilet gets no use because no one is aboard.

One of the US Dometic/SeaLand distributers should be able to supply the parts you need if they're still available.

Peggie

Tags
sail