Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 05:42   #16

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat
Re: Salt water pump continuous flow 110volts for air conditioning recommendations

My best experience over the last 38 years is in using OBERDORFER pumps.
They are heavy duty, reliable and long lasting, unfortunately not cheap.
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 10:30   #17

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay
Re: Salt water pump continuous flow 110volts for air conditioning recommendations

Decided to go with the March LC-3CP-MD rated at 500 GPG or up to 24,000 BTU at around $250 vs the larger 48,000 BTU 1000 GPH at over $1000. We have 26,000 BTU split between 3 units and usually only run one at a time, rarely 2, never 3 outside USA (go broke from electric cost)so it should work out.
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 15:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

The water flow is constant/equal through all the units if there is manifold that is correctly constructed.
It will not matter how many are running, the water flow is what it is...which in your case is 8.3 gals per minute. (500gph divided by 60), which is then split between the 3 units.
So you are close.
Best way to acct for actual flow rate is to run outlet flow from discharge thruhull into a gallon bucket and time it.
That will show you the loss due to plumbing, fittings, hose, head height.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 16:49   #19

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Well, you've already purchased. But I'll throw in my $0.02.

We live in South Texas - we run our A/Cs a LOT. Also, I have about 45 years of experience in pumps for marine aquarium systems. We've been through our share of March pumps. The biggest problem with them is that if they are not submerged, the cooling channels will pretty easily clog over time, and overheating will kill the pump. The same with the KoolAir. We tried one. It's just like the March, and self destructs when the passages clog.

We now use an Iwaki (I see someone else recommended them) pump. Buy the one with the Japanese motor. Do NOT install it if you might have flameable fumes - I'm not sure it's certified for that. I've used them in really bad marine environments for many year, with great success. Defender sells them.

Another thing we did is we put in a redundant pump. Because they always fail in the middle of the night, right? Just flip a switch and we are back in business. Swap the dead one out when we have the time.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 10:59   #20

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Apologies for bumping an old thread but is there any reason not to go with a 12/24/110v pump like below?

My end goal is to eventually have a DC powered Air Conditioner so I figure why not upgrade the pump now so I have the capability later.

https://mabrustore.com/products/mps-...-230v-50-60-hz
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:23   #21

Boat: Riva 48

What about using an aquarium pump of the same or higher wattage? I am comparing a dedicated pump (say a 500 gph AC pump rated at 1/20 hp or 37 watts, say March or KoolAir at $250) to an aquarium pump that is rated at 55 watts, fully submersible if need be, good hose connections, thermally protected, salt water rated, all the goodies at $75.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55watts.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	281432  
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, men, pump, salt, salt water, water, water pump