Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 18:55   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Sani-Flush ; Lectra-San

Man oh man, what a maze! But things are getting clearer. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this.
The saltwater version makes sense for us, seems more simple.
Did you have yearly mainentance? I couldn't find any reference to rebuild kits or recharge kits.

Thanks
Old 13-06-2012, 20:47   #17

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Question Re: Sani-Flush ; Lectra-San

Hey, rover hi & bstreep, thanks a lot, excellent explanations. So I've heard of Sani-flush in the past, is this system no longer available? Not as good? Lots & lots of talk about Raritan products, the only ones available? The best ones by far available?
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 21:48   #18

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
the restrictions on Lectrasan type systems in coastal communities is counter productive.

1) it inadvertently encourages the raw sewage discharge alternative instead of buying and using an effective treatment system
2) raw sewage is pumped out of the boat and sent to a municipal system that will dump the treated sewage back into the coastal waters. At best, you get the same result. But they are dumping thousands of gallons into one spot vs boats dumping miniscule amounts over a large area. This is if the municipality actually treats the sewage. Billions of gallons of untreated waste are dumped into rivers, lakes & coastal waters every year across the USA. Certainly significantly worse than any alternative.

Dumb @ss do-gooders causing more harm than good
DING DING DING! Folks, we have a winner here!

Unfortunately, the folks "in charge" have no idea...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 21:52   #19

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Man oh man, what a maze! But things are getting clearer. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this.
The saltwater version makes sense for us, seems more simple.
Did you have yearly mainentance? I couldn't find any reference to rebuild kits or recharge kits.

Thanks
You folks have your boat in Port A. Here's a "funny" story. There's a marina in Ingleside: Bahia Marina. 3 years ago, they received a grant to put a portable pump out unit in. They have and have had no other pumpoutfacilities available. For 3 years, the unit has been sitting. NEVER used. 70 +/- slips, most are liveaboard, never been pumped out...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:54   #20

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I have a Lectra-San older model with manual timer and it works good. It is one from the late 70's thereabouts.
I have in 14 years of this boat ownership had it apart twice. First time was to replace the electric motor seals regrease the motors and replace lower plastic shaft bushings. Second time was the electrode pack which is pricey.

My electrode pack internal copper wire that forwards the power to the titanium plates disintegrated. I know cause I cut it apart to see what failed.

The older models with manual timer to me are much simpler and less to go wrong than the newer electronic panel circuit board. What failure with the old ones can be the meter reading too low due to some type of internal magnet failure. So you can pop off the meter cover and move the zero adjust higher. I verified my current draw with a separate ammeter.

I also created a brine feed tank with an electric valve to supplement in brackish water.
Made up with an old Igloo cooler!
Electrode pack needs 18 to 22 amps current draw in order to function normally.

tank with salt

showing made up brine filter

Electric solenoid valve opens whenever electric toilet is run. All plastic valve I bought on Ebay. You want a non pressure gravity valve. A NON pressure assisted valve. A valve which opens without the aid of a pressure stream behind it.
So toilet then draws in a mix of sea water and brine by way of a tee hooked up at toilet inlet valve.

An manual PCV valve is then used to regulate the content of brine to brackish water. If you go to salty ocean, turn off the pcv valve
If you goto fresh water open PCV valve up all the way.

Mostly I can leave it alone.

I just dont show the plastic shutoff valve and assorted piping but you get the idea of how it works.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:29   #21

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

Sdowney717...that's pretty ingenious, nice job!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:37   #22

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

The brine tank lasts a long time.
I also put some purlple red koolaid packs into the brine to color it slightly. That way you see a visible indication it is flowing into the head, at least for testing and it will tell you if your running out of brine. Raritan said that would be fine with the Lectrasan.

I emailed and talked with Vic at Raritan and was told you can use CALCIUM Chloride salt or NACL salt.

Quote:
a few more questions,
Can i use KCL instead of NACL? << I don’t think so, and can’t recommend it; different chemical makeup. We’ve never tested anything other than sodium chloride (table salt) and calcium chloride (rock salt). When passing electrical current through some other compound, it could have undesirable results. It could possibly ruin the electrode pack inside the unit, which is the single most expensive part to replace. (#32-5000, $360.00, plus shipping) >>

Can you use a KCL and NACL salt mix, some salt bags contain both. << Stick with the factory recommendations, you’ll be better off that way. >>

How about using a dye in the brine tank as a visible indication that brine is flowing into the head?

<< If you use food coloring from the grocery store, it shouldn’t be a problem. >>
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, lectra san