Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 15:48   #16

Re: Sanitizing Fresh Water Tanks

Be carefull

High concentrate hydrogen peroxide
Distillation is extremely dangerous with hydrogen peroxide; peroxide vapor can ignite or detonate depending on specific combinations of temperature and pressure. In general, any boiling mass of high-concentration hydrogen peroxide at ambient pressure will produce vapor-phase hydrogen peroxide, which can detonate.
Pierre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:41   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sanitizing Fresh Water Tanks

problem with using hydrogen peroxide is I can’t find any data at all for using it to disinfect water.
I can find data on how to inject it to handle iron deposits, but not for disinfection.
What little I have been able to find shows that it takes concentrations that your not going to achieve.

If anyone has any credible source about disinfecting water with H2O2, I appreciate if they posted it.
See I have an aluminum water tank and therefore chlorine isn’t an option for me.
I researched ultraviolet light, but that is very problematic too, you would need several light sources as UV light is quickly absorbed in water, and of course there are the baffles too.

H2O2 is of course a very powerful rocket fuel, the Germans in WWII tried using it to run submarines as it releases oxygen when its burned, but it was way too explosive to use.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:59   #18
Marine Service Provider

Twenty or thirty years ago a formula was on every Clorox bottle for, not only chlorinating drinking water, but curing poison ivy and poison oak, then the FDA got in the act and said no, no, no. As a kid I used the poison oak treatment many times after originally discovering this process while swimming in my high school's over chlorinated swimming pool. Then I learned it had been on the Clorox label all the time.

You can still fine both treatments on Google.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 07:32   #19

The ships I was on used BROMIDE injection on all potable water. Boiler water had it's own set of chemicals. So called potable water in many areas is not safe to drink without additional treatment. No water made from harbor based sea water is safe to drink without additional treatment. In the contaminated oceans we live on today I would not trust water made 2000 miles away from the nearest habitation without chemical treatment.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tanks, water