Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2020, 13:36   #1

Boat: Mariner 36
Scupped Hose

Hi, I have a 1980 Mariner 36. I need to replace the two scupper valves that are leaking around the body seal. The hoses I have run straight down from each side of the cockpit. I think the original design was to have then cross from each side to the opposite through hull valve. I’m thinking my hose setup was changed over the years. Any advantage to replacing the straight hoses with crossed hoses. Thanks for your comments an advice. George
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:27   #2

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'
Re: Scupped Hose

I don't know your particular boat, however there are some things to consider the choice between straight and crossed skuppers: 1) if water doesn't come into the cocpit when heeled over (either slow or fast speeds), then it doesn't matter, your current setup is OK. 2) if water does come into the cocpit when heeled, then crossing them may help, at least at speed.
It really comes down to how low and wide your cocpit footwell is.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 21:13   #3

Boat: Mariner 36
Re: Scupped Hose

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have never had a problem with the s uppers with the straight hoses. I have had the boat going over 8 or more kts. With no water coming up the downside of the cockpit scupper. So I will takeyou4 suggestion and leave it alone. Thanks.
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote