Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 11:50   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
SeaEra conversion kit - fresh water AND raw water

Hello,

I'm finally dumping my Jabsco manual head, since it's not cut out for the rigors of a family of 4 cruising full time.

I've decided to get a SeaEra conversion kit, which has good reviews and allows me to reuse the Jabsco bowl. In particular, I'd like to get the kit designed for pressurized fresh water, but to be used with raw water.

The idea is to make the anchor washdown pump do double duty and feed water to the head. It's just a matter of teeing off a line downstream of the pump, and taking that line to the kit's water solenoid valve and on to the vacuum breaker and toilet.

My first concern is to make sure the existing pump produces a suitable flow and pressure. The label on it says 3.5 GPM and 45 PSI. Does anybody know if that would be enough to supply the toilet as it rinses and flushes? Conversely, might that be too much for the solenoid valve or the head?

Also, are there any issues with using the solenoid and vacuum breaker with raw water? The water will be properly strained at the seacock, and I could add another strainer somewhere down the line, before it gets to the solenoid.

And a final question: what is the point of the vacuum breaker? Is it to break the vacuum created by dry-flushing the head? That seems correct to me, but the SeaEra has a single button, so I assume there's always water flowing as you press it to flush.

If I'm able to pull this off, I could add a Y-valve that would easily allow me to switch from raw water flushing to fresh water flushing (for those occasions in which fresh water isn't hard to come by).

I'll appreciate any opinions!

PS: I've sent email to Raritan tech support with the same questions. I'm currently awaiting their response.
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 07:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: SeaEra conversion kit - fresh water AND raw water

I think your plan should work fine.

This is who I talk to when I have questions about a Raritan product.
“Mac” McCoy
Service Manager
macm@raritaneng.com

I'm a Raritan dealer and I'd love the chance to quote you on this.
Old 28-06-2014, 14:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

I've decided to get a SeaEra conversion kit, which has good reviews and allows me to reuse the Jabsco bowl. In particular, I'd like to get the kit designed for pressurized fresh water, but to be used with raw water.

Won't work, because the solenoid only opens and closes an intake line that's connected to PRESSURIZED water, to allow the water to flow into the toilet...there's no pump to pull the water to the toilet. The washdown pump can be used as an intake pump, but it's breaker would have to remain on all the time, but the solenoid isn't an on-off switch, it's just an open/close device that's operated by the toilet flush button. So if I were you, I'd either just go with the sea water version and tee the washdown pump into the head intake line, or better yet, go with the fresh water version and add the "sea fresh" system Raritan Engineering | Accessories | Sea Fresh System that lets you also use sea water.

Also, are there any issues with using the solenoid and vacuum breaker with raw water?

Already covered the solenoid function...the vacuum breaker is only needed in toilets connected to the potable water system, to prevent bacteria from the toilet from contaminating the potable water supply. It has no function in a raw water toilet.

what is the point of the vacuum breaker? Is it to break the vacuum created by dry-flushing the head?

There is no "dry" function available in the sea water version. However, you can add a 3-way switch to the fresh water version that lets you only bring in water, dry flush, or "standard" flush (water coming in as toilet flushes).

If I'm able to pull this off, I could add a Y-valve that would easily allow me to switch from raw water flushing to fresh water flushing (for those occasions in which fresh water isn't hard to come by).

Just tossing in a y-valve won't do it, because the solenoid and vacuum breaker have very specific functions in pressurized water toilets that need to remain un-messed-with. To have it both ways, it's necessary to isolate both systems to avoid contaminating the fresh water with either toilet waste or sea water. That's why you need the "Sea Fresh System."

Mac at Raritan will be able to help you get it right. They're bound to be incredibly busy going into the 4th weekend, so I'd give him a call instead of waiting for a reply to your email that's prob'ly only one of several hundred in Raritan's inbox.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 15:17   #4

Boat: Morgan 461

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

Mac McCoy answered my email within a few hours and discouraged the idea. Although I still think the idea is doable by leaving the washdown pump on all the time, which was always part of the plan, I'll go with a more "standard" installation and order the raw water system with the integral sea water pump.

Following is Mac's reply, for anyone who might be interested:

I have an anchor washdown pump already installed in the head that I'd like to use to provide raw water to the toilet as well (in which case I'd purchase the pressurized fresh water model). I would tee off the exit line from that pump, into a strainer, the water solenoid, and then the vacuum breaker. Of course, the head would be using raw water.
Unfortunately the water valve that’s supplied with the conversation kit is not designed to be used in this manner. The water valve is intended to be connected to a pressurized fresh water source, with a minimum of 15psi, at all times (otherwise the valve may not close fully or at all.

Q1. What kind of pressure and flow rate does the head expect? (I need to make sure the head isn't starved for water to flush or gets too much too fast).
A1. The intake flow rate should be approximately 3.5- 4.5gpm

Q2. Are the solenoid and vacuum breaker ok to work with salt water? (the water would be properly strained at the seacock and then again after exiting the pump).
A2. The vacuum and valve may not operate correctly in the application you mentioned. I’d suggest using either the remote raw water conversion kits (160lR0* or 160LI0* ..* = voltage either 12 or 24 or 32VDC)
Please follow this link http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...eaerav0203.pdf and on the bottom of page 2, you’ll see the ordering matrix.
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water