Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42   #1

Seal off hull fitting?

Hi everyone, I am very new to boats and just bought a 1963 Owens Express Cabin Cruiser. The forums here have been extremely helpful but now I have problem I cant figure out through research.

The original head was set up to draw seawater from a thru hull fitting directly underneath the bowl. All I can see is the hose coming out of the hull with a hose clamp around it. There is no seacock or lever or anything for shutting it open or closed. I installed a new head using all the old hoses and so far it is not pulling in seawater. Thats okay with me because soon I want to install a grey water tank and make it draw from that instead. However, I'm very nervous about this hull fitting and I want to seal it off completely so I can rest easy. Is there any way I can do this that doesn't involve hauling it out of the water?

Thanks for any help.
KitchenWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 13:53   #2

Re: Seal off hull fitting?

There is a way of doing this in the water, but would most likely involve the sinking of your vessel and SCUBA diving.

It really all depends on if you find that preferable to hauling it out and doing it correctly.
MaryEllenCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:07   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenCarter View Post
There is a way of doing this in the water, but would most likely involve the sinking of your vessel and SCUBA diving.

It really all depends on if you find that preferable to hauling it out and doing it correctly.
+1 to this.

I very recently had a similar problem to yours, in that the stopcock for the toilet feed was installed but turned out to not be working, being permanantly open. I paid for a quick (15 minute) haul out to replace just the seacock (knowing I had a real haul out booked in a months time), thinking at the time I was probably being a bit paranoid and that I should have just done it in the water.

BUT, having just replaced all of the skin fittings last week (including the fitting in question), I can remark that I am REALLY glad I did not try any kind of simple stopgap solution. Bronze skin fittings that looked pretty decent from inside the boat turned out to be VERY weak when I removed them, and my previous feeling that I had been too worried was pretty well dispelled.

I'll continue to go with the paranoid option myself. I know it can cost a few $$$ but I sleep easier at night.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 18:05   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's not always necessary to haul out a boat to change a thru hull. It's done all the time in the water. You think they haul 100'+ boats just to add a new thru hull? Get someone who knows what they are doing to take a look and advise you whether it needs to come out of the water first. You might find it a lot cheaper to let those who know what they are doing...do it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, KitchenWench.

As has been noted, an in-water installation is possible, but not recommended, except (perhaps) for the VERY experienced and talented professional.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

That's a wooden boat, isn't it? Through hulls in wood create additional challenges. A boat that size is not that costly to haul, I can't imagine you would save money by doing it in the water, which would add many hours of skilled labor to the job.

Another thing -- a recently acquired boat of that great age (almost as old as I am! ) will want a very careful going over in any case with regard to anything affecting watertight integrity (through hulls, sea cocks, hoses, clamps, exhaust, etc.). Unless it is well documented that the through hulls were replaced within some reasonable period of time, then that is a sinking waiting to happen, and you might be wise to replace all of them.

This is just the kind of thing which owners neglect on old boats which they're not using much, passing on the accumulated problem to the new owner.

One more thing, and I don't mean to be negative, but where did you get the idea to flush your toilet with grey water?! Ewww! Do you know what stored grey water smells like? What's wrong with sea water? Or even fresh water?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:27   #7

Thanks for all your help everyone. I am planning on having it hauled out in two months and I would like to replace all the hull fittings (i think its just the one) at that time. The hull survey I got from the previous owner was pretty glowing for a boat this old, but I cant recall it mentioning the fittings. I'll have to look at it again and post that info.
What I'm really wondering though is UNTIL then can I just clamp off the hose temporarily? Even though its connected to my head it does not draw in any seawater so I'm not really afraid of it flooding me. There is no sign of leaking or anything.

About the grey water, yea I know its not ideal but it seems to be the most environmentally friendly option. We live aboard don't want to get dishwater and stuff in the bay and piss off our harbormaster. Hopefully, if we conserve correctly the grey water wont stagnate for too long. What do most people do? just screw the rules? I see sheens around peoples boats sometimes.
Thanks again! I cant get over how friendly seafaring folk are.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenWench View Post
I installed a new head using all the old hoses and so far it is not pulling in seawater. Thats okay with me because soon I want to install a grey water tank and make it draw from that instead. However, I'm very nervous about this hull fitting and I want to seal it off completely so I can rest easy. Is there any way I can do this that doesn't involve hauling it out of the water?
Your original post said the above, and your second post appears to conflict with it.

You surely don't mean to draw grey water into the head for flushing do you? Why not draw in seawater? Doing so is not polluting, it's what you do with it after.

You'll want that seawater intake plumbed to your head intake. Plumb it out to the holding tank. Don't draw water from your grey water tank for use in the boat. If nothing else it's a health hazard.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

I applaud the idea of grey water use, although some of the logistics may be a little tough (what if you want to flush but the grey water tank is empty?).

On dry land our house is plumbed with separate grey water lines that drain to a basement tank and the water is then used to flush the toilets and water the garden. Not only is this encouraged in dry climates, and allowed in current codes, it will not be too long (IMO) before it becomes a requirement.

A couple of differences though, the kitchen sink is considered black water by the code because of the heavy organic loading. And we have a filter and pump at the tank to remove most of the chunks and re-pressurize the water. All that is harder to do on a boat but I would like to see it.

As for the question "why?", because it means you have less overall storage. You can have a small grey water tank and then transfer that to your black water holding tank each time you flush. Means total tankage is less, which weighs less and takes up less space, both good things on a boat.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

Oh yeah, as to your original question, if you are really concerned, how about gently (in case the through hull is not in great shape) putting in a tapered wooden plug or rubber plug from the outside. That should block off most, if not all, of the flow should something happen and allow your bilge pump to keep up. Then when you get hauled you can remove and seal.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:23   #11

Thanks everyone I know what i need to do now. I'm so excited. Both my kitchen and bathroom sink are designed to drain overboard, but as soon as I get a gray water system we can start doing dishes and washing our hands! What a luxury that seems at this point!
Old 08-11-2013, 21:02   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Wow, where to start?

"What do most people do? just screw the rules?"
What rules? There are no rules or laws concerning the discharge of grey water into the ocean. The vast majority of boats send it overboard. It's a good idea to recycle grey water in dry areas to conserve fresh water, but this is a boat, sitting in an ocean. No need to conserve salt water.

"The hull survey I got from the previous owner was pretty glowing for a boat this old,..."

You bought a fifty year old boat and didn't get your own survey!!!
Haul it now and get a real survey by an accredited surveyor that you are paying.

Tags
hull