Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 21:25   #1

Sealand Vacuflush pumping contents out of the top

Hey everyone. First time posting but I couldn’t find my issue in the search so I’m hoping I can find someone who knows. The vacuflush tank/pump just pumps the contents out the top of the plastic pump just below where the motor mounts. I thought maybe the outflow hose was clogged so I pulled it off and didn’t find any obstructions but butch the duckbill valves in the pvc adapter were completely encrusted so I replaced those. And it still just pumps everything out the top and doesn’t ever shut off. Any ideas as to what I should replace next?

Thanks for any help
Mondoniom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:52   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Sealand Vacuflush pumping contents out of the top

It sounds like a hole in the pump bellows. Vacuflush makes a replacement kit that is easy to install. Take the electric pump off and remove the top of the pump housing. Replace all the duckbills while you are there replacing the bellows. The bellows seems to be a maintenance item although they should last many years once replaced. Both of our pumps developed leaks before we realized that they should be periodically replaced.

Fortunately we had spares, which is something you learn is very important with Vacuflush head systems.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Sealand Vacuflush pumping contents out of the top

It sounds like a hole in the pump bellows.

Or the the bellows and entire pump housing are are also so encrusted with waste and TP that flushes can't get out through the the hoses. That flushes are getting out through through the "seam" connecting the top of the pump to the bottom of it is also a good indication that the gasket that seals 'em is also shot.

Using too little flush water is the most common cause of 90% of problems with VacuFlush toilets. People interpret "can use as little as 1 pint" to mean that's all it needs, when it actually needs about as much as most macerating electric toilets to prevent buildup and clogs. When enough water to keep it rinsed out it is used, very few spares are ever needed. So follow jkleins' advice to clean out the pump and replace the duckbills. If that doesn't solve the problem called Dometic for the name and location of the nearest "authorized service center" (the only source of VF parts except for duckbill valves) and buy the kit.

I've written a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how the VacuFlush works (a surprising number of owners think they do, but don't) and how much water it actually needs to keep it working trouble-free. I'll be glad to send it to you--and anyone else who wants it--if if you'll send me an EMAIL (not a PM, no way to attach anything to a PM...just click on my name at the left of this post and choose email instead of PM). If the system won't let a brand member.html" target="_blank">new-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-member send an email send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address.

And btw...welcome aboard!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump