Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2023, 06:06   #1

Second water pump

Would appreciate views on any of this :-)

We have 3 water tanks, 150L 150L and 220L, each filled from seperate filler caps, but all plumbed through single pump and pressure diaphragm.

We have usual sinks & showers, plus an extra spout in galley, using an in-line filter for drinking.

We struggle to always find true potable water, only washing-grade clean water, when away from good marinas in the Greek Islands.

So was planning on keeping a 150L + 220L on current pipes, and dedicating one 150L to the small filteted spout, on a new circuit. That should give us two a month's drinking water easily.

Question: I'm looking for a simple pump, to plumb in for this new circuit. Don't think I'm fussed about a diaphragm to maintain pressure.

Recommendations for pump is very welcome along with any general thoughts around this change.

Many thanks
Papawads
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 06:11   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Second water pump

I like my manual foot pump for drinking water. Easy to use, no waste.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 06:58   #3

It’s a useful change if it ACTUALLY extends your range. You project having a month of drinking water in a single 150 liter tank, so you have to find a source of potable water every three or four weeks, at most.

With your total capacity of 520 liters, how long can you go? For us, that would easily supply all water needs aboard for more than 3 weeks. If you fill all tanks with potable water, you still are on the same schedule—with more flexibility.

A first cut doesn’t seem to makes your water logistics any easier.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 07:28   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Yes, this is a very good idea.

We have a similar set up with a smallish stainless steel water tank that supplies our drinking water via a seperate pump. We only fill this with the best water. The relatively small size means the water is never old and the hose run is kept short so the water does not even need filtering.

As has been suggested, a foot pump is the best option. Personally, I prefer the water delivery from a foot pump especially when sailing. With a foot pump if you are holding a glass you still have one hand free to brace yourself, as one hand is not needed to turn a tap off and on. In addition, you can precisely regulate the water delivery. Finally, a foot pump not only provides redundancy, it will still operate without an electrical supply.

The Whale lever foot pumps are very reliable, but you need to make a small modification to correct a design flaw. This has been discussed in the forum on a previous thread. A search will reveal the details if you decide to install one.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 08:15   #5

Boat: Adams 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The Whale lever foot pumps are very reliable, but you need to make a small modification to correct a design flaw. This has been discussed in the forum on a previous thread. A search will reveal the details if you decide to install one.
Noelex- can you summarize the mod needed for Whale foot pump? I couldn't find anything when I searched.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 08:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
Noelex- can you summarize the mod needed for Whale foot pump? I couldn't find anything when I searched.
This is the thread:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ps-212499.html

I simply attach two small scraps of plywood to the mounting board underneath the pump to stop the pin moving out of position. Since making this modification I have not had a single failure.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump