Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2013, 21:00   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Sewage treatment systems

Good to see you posting again Peggie.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 21:04   #17
Marine Service Provider

I don't know what device you have, but the Raritan devices don't just meet Type I standards...Type I standards only call for a max bacteria count of 1000/100 ml...the Raritan devices reduce it to <10. BOD is the equivalent of that created by 4 oak leaves landing in the water.

And you've just pointed out why it's so damn difficult to introduce any common sense into marine sanitation issues... The hardcore environmentalists wrongly assume that all treatment devices only JUST meet the legal requirements...when in fact, almost all of them do much better. But even one that doesn't is a lot less harmful to the environment than an illegally dumped tank...or another sewage treatment plant spill....<sigh>.....
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 21:44   #18

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Thanks for the feedback Peg
Old 29-09-2013, 01:38   #19

Boat: Fantasia 35

Hi Peggie,

Thank you for the information. I stand corrected about the color of the treated waste discharge.

It is interesting that I have resided in four marinas here in the SF south bay, and not one of them would allow the use of a approved treatment system. In addition to my current marina there was another one (now closed) that stated that even though the treated wasted was sanitary, they had been informed that it contained nutrients that contributed to marine growth that fouled boat bottoms. Also, there is a fifth marina down here that I know will not allow the use of approved treatment systems.

What is funny about all this is that I own a new and yet to be installed LectraSan unit. I purchased it before I found out that I couldn't use it while a resident of the marina. This was years ago so I figured that I would just save it until I began heading back south. Since then it seems that most of SOCAL waters have become a NDZ.

I sure wish that somehow this whole waste discharge thing could be made right. It just seem so... stupid!

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 02:21   #20

I have on my boat two Vacuflush connected to one Lectrasan plus an 160 liters holding tank. I am very satisfied of this configuration since 7 years.
François
Arion is offline   Reply With Quote