Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 16:19   #16

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: Shaving on board question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
take it on deck. even when careful, shavings of hair get everywhere
Zeehag, how many times do we have to tell you to shave your legs and arm pits at least once a month. No wonder youse is having guy staying trouble. Youse gets all scratchy after a little while. By the way how is the old Perky repair coming. Hope the weather is getting more stable in Mx. See ya next year in the Gulf
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 17:46   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodl..ye mean we spozed to bathe more than one time annually???

dayummm...i was wondering why my soap lasted so long....lol

getting there as fast as i can repair'. as long as i have dirt cheep repairs r us i need to keep rolling--got a lot done and much more to do .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 19:19   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I shave both my face and head once a week. Do it in the shower, never had a problem with the pumps or the box they are in plugging up yet, Connie also shaves her legs and such in the shower also! again never a problem, at least so far !! Of course I use bilge pumps for shower pumps that might be why we don't have problems. Of course there have been times I cleaned the box out, but mostly the stuff I scraped out of the box was soap never realy noticed any big amount of hair in the stuff I took out ! a little but nothing that would stop a pump! I clean the sumps about the same amount as I clean the bilges, a couple of times a year! But we have pretty clean bilges no real oil leaks or diesel, and almost no water! As I said we have been useing the shower to shave for many years with no problem!
Old 27-09-2013, 19:20   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
I just recently purchased the no no. See off hour advertisements on late night tv. It promises to stop hair growth.
Prior to this I shaved into the sink. My shower has to pump all this stuff overboard but the sink is direct. So sink is better then clogging the pump.
I have tested the no no. Results are not conclusive yet .
The eye brow test. Success I have no eye brows. No sign that I will have eye brows after 2 weeks from applying the no no. Arm pit test. I have irritation from new growth hair after 2 weeks of use. I could not get thing into my ears which for some reason in my later years are now growing hair. Same issue with it fitting up my nose. I can't see if it worked on my back. The hair that was growing on my toes has not come back and there is no sign of hair recurring there.
Hope this helps
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 19:30   #20

Boat: csy 37

with an electric shaver. in the cockpit.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 19:39   #21

Yeah I do it on deck. I shave my face and my head pretty much weekly and it's from the stern with the wind blowing everything off into the water. In a marina I'll just lay a trash bag out on the counter and do it in the marina bathroom, then bundle the mess up into the trash. I get some weird looks, but no mess.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 19:44   #22

Boat: Valiant 42
This thread has way too much information in it...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 20:01   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

You're right, Transmit. That's why I haven't peeked at the "standing up to pee" thread.
Old 28-09-2013, 04:13   #24
CLOD

Boat: none
At home I shave on the shower . But on the boat I shave at the sink and then take a shower.

Has nothing to with clogging has to with water .
Old 28-09-2013, 05:51   #25

My wife and I shaved for a year, in our shower and I never saw the first problem. I have a strainer on my shower sump and it had to be cleaned out about once a month, but that was a five minute job at worst.

I can't take a beard in hot weather.
Old 28-09-2013, 06:24   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

On Idora all grey water sources drain to a PVC sump I built. Since it is 4 feet or so below the waster line, the sump is evacuated by a big ol whale pump. The pump is controlled by a mini float switch which supplies control voltage to the pump. Because the sump is below the water line and the hull fitting can be submerged on a starboard tack there is a check valve installed to prevent back flow and pump cycling as the sump is dried up. The check valve does not like hair or coffee grounds. If either is present the pump will cycle when under sail. Then it is necessary to close the thru hull and de-power the pump circuit till it is convenient to flush out the system with a bucket of water. Its a problem...shaving that is.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote