Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2021, 16:57   #16

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Should I be worried about this valve leak?

A good diver can replace the valve in the water with little-to-no water in the boat. Had mine done that way in La Paz, Mex.

Took the diver less than 10 minutes to do the job, once the area was ready (fresh valve on hand and pre-sealed, hoses and fitting off, etc.) He slightly loosened the valve from the thru-hull, used a plastic salad bowl against the hull and had a tight-fitting hole for the wrench holding the TH from turning. His buddy then unscrewed that valve, and attached the new one in seconds flat. Did not torque or break the bond between the TH and the hull.

Same diver has replaced complete thru-hulls in the water with similar results.

It can be done.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 19:22   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
A good diver can replace the valve in the water with little-to-no water in the boat. Had mine done that way in La Paz, Mex.

Took the diver less than 10 minutes to do the job, once the area was ready (fresh valve on hand and pre-sealed, hoses and fitting off, etc.) He slightly loosened the valve from the thru-hull, used a plastic salad bowl against the hull and had a tight-fitting hole for the wrench holding the TH from turning. His buddy then unscrewed that valve, and attached the new one in seconds flat. Did not torque or break the bond between the TH and the hull.

Same diver has replaced complete thru-hulls in the water with similar results.

It can be done.

The valve in question is bolted to the hull. Not going to change that in the water.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:22   #18

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The valve in question is bolted to the hull. Not going to change that in the water.
I have to take off the 5200 to get a better look. PO might have just glued it and not bolted through. If that's the case I have the step wrench and supposedly I could be outside holding the through hull in place while another person breaks the body with large pipe wrench and swap it out. It is sketchy.
Here in RI, new england boatworks, now safe harbor charged me 900$ for up to two weeks out of water last summer. That's not bad. I might do that in the fall, if I'm not happy how the leak progresses.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote