Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 13:13   #1

Boat: Gulfstar, CC, 44'
Shower Sump Pump on 44' Center Cockpit

I just purchased a 1980 44'. My Shower sump pump in not coming on when I flip the toggle switch on my panel. I have tried to follow the drain hose coming out from that area and between all of the hoses and the engine blocking my access I can't find the darn right hose to follow to the pump (if it is even there). So, I don't know where the sump pump is. Any suggestions?
valhalla II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:18   #2

Put a multimeter to the wires at the sump and see if there's any current going across when the switch is on. Current = something wrong with the sump, no current = something's wrong with the wiring / distribution between wherever the multimeter is and the batteries.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:35   #3

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
My shower sump pump has a float switch in the sump so it doesn't run until there is about a half gallon of water in the sump. Perhaps yours has a float switch or a second switch to activate it.

Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
If I read correctly, you have not been able to locate the pump itself so unable to trouble shoot?

Had the same problem when I bought my 42' CC last year. I stuck my head into the bilge and reached up under the shower until I could feel the drain hose coming out of the bottom of the shower stall. Had to go back and forth a couple of times looking from the top to line up where I reached in under the bottom but finally got a hand on the right hose. Then just followed it to the pump. Had to track it past a bulkhead so similar process. Look at one side to see where the hose lined up, then to the other side to see which hose in the mass of junk was the right one.

Final test, get someone to look at the end coming out of the shower while you shake the other end that you think is the one and see if it corresponds.

Plan B. Follow the wire from the switch panel and see where that goes.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:36   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
My boat has a master switch at the panel, and then each head has a switch to turn the actual pump on.

Try turning on the master, then try any switches in the head..

What make boat do you have..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 05:51   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, CC, 44'
I just bought this 44' Gulfstar from a broker in Kemah. I did not see any other switches in the stern bathroom. I just have to get into the engine room and dig further to find and follow the hose from the drain.
I am planning on taking it to N. O. when the weather cooperates. 10' seas today in GOM.
Thanks,
Jim
valhalla II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 19:19   #7

Boat: 51' Formosa Cutter Rigged Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla II
I just bought this 44' Gulfstar from a broker in Kemah. I did not see any other switches in the stern bathroom. I just have to get into the engine room and dig further to find and follow the hose from the drain.
I am planning on taking it to N. O. when the weather cooperates. 10' seas today in GOM.
Thanks,
Jim
On my 43, the rear shower pump is located on the rear wall of the engine room (close to the shower). Mine doesn't really have a sump but rather a drain hose that goes right to a diaphragm pump. Given the year of your boat, it is likely a similar setup. I did have to rebuild several of those pumps.

On my boat, there is a switch on the main breaker panel "rear shower pump" and "forward shower pump". That switch has to be on in order for the small pull switch located in each shower to work.
I hope this helps.
glhotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 20:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
Put a multimeter to the wires at the sump and see if there's any current going across when the switch is on. Current = something wrong with the sump, no current = something's wrong with the wiring / distribution between wherever the multimeter is and the batteries.
Methinks you arre thinking a multimeter set on vdc 15 across the terrminals and checking for voltage.

@OP - my sympathies. I recently had to troubleshoot a dead 12v outlet in the pilothouse of a 50 footer. Upside down, tracing and pulling wires. They disappear into a bulkhead to reappear on the other side six inches lower bundled with six other wires. Pretty sure this is these two. Ah, cut these tie wraps, meter the junction. Damn! 12v here. Must have an open wire in the bulkhead. Run new wire, fish around with a rod, cant find a way through. Never mind lets go at it to tomorrow. We need to start pulling wall panelling and get a drill if we have to.

Complete novice says, "What about this switch on the panel?" the panel has probably 40 switches. Not all are on. This is not marked and is off and new owner has never turned it on. Switch it on. Voila! Power at the socket! Owner says previous owner said he pretty much leaves the dc panel alone no need to switch stuff all the time. All the other 12vdc works, why is this on a separate circuit? Who knows...

One by one we activate every switch. Lots of switches don't do what they are labelled to do. Some don't appear to do much. A couple of others with fallen labels are id'd.

Inheriting someone else's ideas of "improvements" can be frustrating and time consuming...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, shower, shower sump